Moria (Goblin) faction

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
487 replies to this topic

#81 Bruno62339

Bruno62339
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:57 PM

But the Great Goblin will make an excellent addition to this mod.

YAY!!!! im very happy you are still considering my idea. :p

well currently im having issues with the gob drummers getting left behind, because i keep forgetting that they cant attack. SO i was thinking maybe they could combine with other units? a la bfme1? that would be cool and keep em in place. they would just stay at the back of the selected unit, and their LD would still effect more than just one unit.
Posted Image
^Signature by Serated

Life sucks, then you die :)

#82 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

That Great Goblin looks awesome! In the pic he's just like Gorkil but I don't like Gorkil since he's

a) made up by EA
b) RIDES A SCORPION

What 'bout using Gorkil's model for Bolg (without scorpion, of course :p) and have him (Bolg) accompanied by 3 guards (I remember that from the Hobbit, correct me if wrong) as a perma power? And instead of those un-Tolkienish spider riders, wolf riders could be used.

Edited by Allathar, 02 July 2007 - 01:59 PM.

It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#83 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

and, how about Boromir? He's dead, he's famous, and he's in the game :p

But he was alive during the War of the Ring :lol: .
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#84 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:54 PM

*tries to keep from drooling on keyboard*...

did anybody see those new goblin skins Lone Wolf or somebody else came out with? the cool thing about that one was that all the gobs had varying weapons and they stuck the goblin archer skin in there. How hard would it be to add the archer skin to the goblin warrior? Would you just have to load the goblin archer and replace the bow with the sword and possibly shield?

Oh, and I may have mentioned this before, but the goblin that's in the model for the mine and the treasure trove is the same model as the archer. you could add that one in too, and maybe the warrior skin as well. Make gobs look as mixed up as possible =).
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#85 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

I've seen some models with Wolf Riders... I think it was from Alliance of Arda at ModDB...

You cant use the ercher skin for the warrior or the other way around, they are completely differently mapped.

The only way to make Gobbs more varied is to make new models...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#86 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

ahh...that sucks. Goblins do need more models, but distinguishing them from mordor orcs becomes somewhat difficult en mass.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

The best way to fix this, would be to make an additional model for each "faction" of the gobbo army:
- 1 new swordsman (without helmet),
- 1 new archer (with helmet), and
- 1 new pikeman (without helmet).

They could all use the existing head with helmet (swordsman) and without (archer) for all of those ^!

They could naturally also have LUA scripts which would enable different weapons and perhaps a shield and no shield. The variations from that would create different looking goblins but still have them look like goblins, and not regular mordor orcs. I really hope one or some of our modelers would like to work on this for Beta V... Neither I nor Sûl can model so - it's really up to them. But if you suck up to them, maybe they'll listen? :p

I'd also like to rename the Goblin faction to Moria - in the same manner Mordor is Mordor and Isengard is Isengard (for consistancy). :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#88 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:16 AM

Goblins, not such a good name.

Wild, The Wild, Wild Beasts could be some. Considering that would give you more range of what you can put in there in terms of powers, uints, heroes, etc.

Tior you could use as a name too.
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#89 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:03 AM

Uhm, if I change the name, it would be to Moria :p

How come each time I make an announcement about a thought, y'all have to counter with a suggestion? My ideas aren't worth anything anymore? :p :p

It was the same with the thought of EvilMen... that thread became suggestions for Goblin faction instead? ;) Maaan...

And hey, I don't wanna expand the goblin faction at all, I'd rather shrink it (as you know) and if I end up keeping it anyways, I would like them to smell, look and act like Goblins, not like spiders or other non lotrs units ;) Meaning: new units should be goblin units only, like the new Pikemen. What is left now is a "bunch" of new Goblin heroes =) (Hence: Moria)

Planned
----------
- The Great Goblin (either using a scaled "Goblin King" unit or the new model shown earlier. But I think it would be a waste to throw away a fully working model just cause some don't like his looks).
- Azog (using the other unused model from BFME2)
- Bolg (I would suggest the fat model, unless we use him for Great Goblin)
- X...
- X...

Together with the three Drakes, Shelob and Drogoth, that would give Goblins a total of 10 heroes which should be enough =)

I also got two units from the extremely supporting Argolis, when I got the Goblin Drummer from him. I just haven't used them yet... Those are:
- Goblin Shaman
- Goblin Berserker

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#90 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

It never hurts to have suggestions thrown your (or anybody's) way. ;)
Nobody is saying that your ideas are worthless anyhow.

But the thing is why would you limit (shrink) the Goblin Faction and expand Mordor and such. Yes spider rider need to go. As well as all that other stuff EA put in there for really bad filler. You may shrink by removing, but you must add for expanding. Which is what you're doing. Pointless paragraph here. Oh well. :p

Three drakes, seems kind of redundant don't you think :p
If you add the three new Goblin Heroes with Shelob and Drogoth, that would give you five heroes. I'm not counting the blank spaces, just due to the fact that those are in the: in-progress (delineate) stage. But the thing is, quality over quantity with the heroes would make a big difference.

But not all Goblins came from Moria. If you used The Misty Mountains, your range of creatures and units would ever so grow. Gundabad, Moria, Mount Gram (though this could another name for Gundbad) are all part of the Misty Mountains. And there's so much more land around it, you could easily find other places where creatures dwell. But I know The Misty Mountain Faction sounds sooo stupid. :p

Don't bite my head off for throwing out suggestions and ideas ;). I'm only trying to help and give feedback.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post

Edited by Downfall, 04 July 2007 - 04:57 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#91 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Hehe I know, I wasn't really being seroius my friend (hence the smileys :p) I was just... looking at the irony :p

And that post wasn't that long either ;)

- I still say that I don't see it as expanding Mordor that much. First of all it's even in the readMe that Modor as a faction HAVE been given a lot of attention in this mod, and that's they way I like it =) But, most importantly, if I would ever "shrink" Goblin faction (by moving them into Mordor) I would also remove a lot of things from Mordor, so it wouldn't really be gaining as much as losing. Losing Mumaks is a heavier blow than gaining Giants I think. But this is for the EvilMen thread really... =p

- I know not all Gobbos came from Moria... but in the movie that's all the reference we get. That's why I haven't put any priority to the Wolf Riders yet. Meaning: if we keep Goblin faction (with a new name) those would have to be added along with some new heroes. But if we move gobbos into Mordor ^ we wouldn't need any more goblin units at all. So this is still "open" in a way...

- And yeah, I agree about the hero logic. And I also think it's better to have a smaller number of heroes that are good than just several that are copies of each other. BUT, I would also like to have basically all familiar faces from the movies and that is a problem since we saw several human, elven, uruk and Mordor heroes, but virtually no Dwarven or even less Goblin heroes (none). This makes it a bit hard to choose. If we end up adding more heroes to Men and Elves for instance, the gap to gobbos would be even greater... so, I guess we need at LEAST 5 really good Goblin heroes (Great Goblin, Azog, Bolg, Shelob and FireDrake/s) as long as we keep the faction as a stand alone =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#92 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:37 AM

will bolg have a summoun guardians of bolg power?

#93 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:40 AM

We're probably gonna keep the summon units thing very low in SEE. Units are for production, not summoning in an instant. So I don't think so, but we'll see... =)

BTW @ all: I updated the 1st post with a screen of models :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#94 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

great work on the heores btw great mod

The best guest

#95 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

You aren't going to directly use those models? They are kind of...pixalish.

Please don't shrink! It needs more! ;)

#96 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

lol, Clone, you should now by now that I basically never use models that are not reskinned. Not even donated ones :D

I said I posted a screen of the models. Skins would naturally be reskinned ;)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#97 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

If you're planning on removing the Half-Troll Marauders from being built in the troll pit, I have an idea. Since your adding Bolg, You could make them a summon only to him, and that's the only place you would see the Marauders show up in game, fully upgraded of course.

Because it's said that Bolg's bodygaurds were huge orcs with scimitars. So insted of scimitars, you'd have pikes, no big deal though. The marauders are rather big. And it would fit as his body gaurds. So you wouldn't have to worry about making a new/finding a new model for them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Pretty good idea... I'll consider that =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#99 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:05 PM

But...I agree with you nazgul that units summoning units is SUCK. Besides, mauraders are a unique thing on the battlefield, and a part of the little armor troop the gobs have.

However, I think it would be cool if bolg came with units (maybe half-trolls), and that they respawned every once in a while. You could give bolg some banner carrier properties, make a new horde, and...well I honestly don't know what comes after that, but it's a suggestion.

They did this in Star Wars: Empire at War (crappy game =(), where the imperial officer came with stormtrooper bodyguards, but he was still a hero. You could do this with the other summon units heroes, like king dain.

Edited by Garrison Nomad, 04 July 2007 - 04:06 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:27 PM

you mean like the acolytes for the socerer for angmer

The best guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users