#81 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts
  • Projects:SEE

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Nazgul,

Will moving the SEE mod folder to C:\ provide a fix for the 'loading saved game' crash problem?

If there won't be a fix for awhile, and no way to play it until there is one, then I am considering deleting it for now, since (likely?) the fix will be in the next Beta version, correct? I'd rather do that than download a fixed beta and overwrite the one thats having problems.

Thank you!

Edited by av8r, 14 November 2007 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#82 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

Nope :)

#83 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:19 AM

Thank you...

But "nope" to which?

Nope to moving the See folder to C is a fix, or nope to the fix being in next release (4.6?)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#84 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

Wtf...
Clone shouldn't be answering any of those questions, since he's no modder... :)

And as far as your comment on the other page goes Clone, I don't understand your point. Are you afraid that your Guide will become obsolete perhaps? Well I'm sorry to say - but I actually hope it will :sad2:

You did an awesome job on that, no doubt, and all creds to you for that... but the goal of modding is not really to have extensive explanations on how to install a mod, but rather to strive for better and more simple ways to do things, and this IS a more simple way indeed. Some ppl don't have a clue how to operate their Windows and we're not really here to teach them that, but rather to enjoy a mod. So, I will update the Installation Instructions with this new method, since both me and Sûl is all for it. You have to adapt to that I'm afraid... :D

@Aviator:
1) I'm not sure. I don't or very rarely have those crashes myself. But do try it... it's a VERY easy process. Just move SEE into another location and put the location in the Target path. I have it directly on E drive, so for me it's "E:\SEE". If you put it directly on C (instead of in the hidden folder of My App...) it would be "C:\SEE". Just replace the -mod SEE with that and you're done. Try if it helps... If not, well at least you never have to worry about hidden files anymore for this and future versions of SEE.

2) If you use some common scense you would realize I can't answer that question. If we COULD we would fix this NOW, and not later, right!? So... how could I promise you a fix for next version? It will be fixed ASAP... ASSUMING that we CAN find the fix, which we must also realize that maybe we can't. And that will leave us with two alternatives....

- Cancel the mod? And I don't think anyone wants that...
- Live with it and thus - don't use Saved Games. That's it. We're only ppl here... not robots! ;)

But - let's HOPE we can fix it, k? :sad2:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#85 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

edited

@Aviator:
1) I'm not sure. I don't or very rarely have those crashes myself. But do try it... it's a VERY easy process. Just move SEE into another location and put the location in the Target path. I have it directly on E drive, so for me it's "E:\SEE". If you put it directly on C (instead of in the hidden folder of My App...) it would be "C:\SEE". Just replace the -mod SEE with that and you're done. Try if it helps... If not, well at least you never have to worry about hidden files anymore for this and future versions of SEE.

2) If you use some common scense you would realize I can't answer that question. If we COULD we would fix this NOW, and not later, right!? So... how could I promise you a fix for next version? It will be fixed ASAP... ASSUMING that we CAN find the fix, which we must also realize that maybe we can't. And that will leave us with two alternatives....

- Cancel the mod? And I don't think anyone wants that...
- Live with it and thus - don't use Saved Games. That's it. We're only ppl here... not robots! :sad2:

But - let's HOPE we can fix it, k? :)

Thanks Nazgul. I'll try relocating the SEE install.

And I probably wasn't clear; I only wanted to know and meant - when it is fixed (not "if" it ever will be), will they issue the fix in the next beta or ?

I will d/l the next beta anyhow, so didn't know if I should go ahead and take this one off since it's not playing my saved games - maybe thats jumping the gun and getting ahead of myself..?

But I'll try the relocating tip and let you know. Thanks!!

Edited by av8r, 15 November 2007 - 02:48 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#86 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

I'm not feeling the respect here....

It's not an "in-the-know-modder-thing." Don't jump ahead of your game, here, av8r. I was answering your question as to if moving the file to another location would stop the saved game bug. If it did, I would gladly accept the new way of installing things, and people would no longer have any troubles with the save game bug....but as they still do.

I don't actually think the manual will ever go out of business. Even if leaving the mod on the desktop is easier, people are STILL going to have troubles. Also, the majority of the people that don't have issues installing things will continue to use the normal method anyways, as it is what you are taught to do. Also, it's less confusing because the little movie thingy made by LOTRJ uses the normal method. The manual also has other troubleshooting things to help people. If you removed all that stuff, the actual installation wouldn't be that long of a manual.

So, I don't know if you can tell, I feel as if my efforts are being pushed out of the Empire State building (it would be the two towers if it weren't for them jihadists :p )
and I have not been getting any respect...I lost a good train of thought...but that's the gist of it.

Btw, I think the "wtf" is your post, Chris, is coming on a wee bit too strong...was there really a need whatsoever to put that there? wtf would not be the first thing to come into my mind when replying to that post... :)

Edited by clonecommand, 15 November 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#87 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:27 AM

I am not sure a public place is a good place to start a pissing contest on the worth of one's accomplishments. I am pretty sure that the specific expression has more to do with something other than said accomplishements, so please, keep this private. I'd hate to have another match of 'I said, you said' on the boards. Thank you.

Any more on this, please pm only. Stay on topic, which is how to install S.E.E., nothing else.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#88 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:49 AM

Well my apologies if I said something to get off track and p.o. anyone.

I appreciate everyones help. The only other time I tried a mod was years ago on bfme1 and only once.

I'll reinstall, no problem and sorry to have caused any issues....thanks again to you all for your help and hard work.

edit; p.s. clonecommand I made my remark before reading more on this forum, I thought you were like me, just an end user but after looking at past posts I see you are involved in SEE and in the group responsible for it; am sorry for my comments and will be more careful. Thanks for your help.

Edited by av8r, 15 November 2007 - 02:01 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#89 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

Don't be poopy, now (what the heck was that phrase :) ) That was to both Sul and av8r

I'm just feeling a little shoved out of the way. Nothing good night's rest can't handle....but I won't be getting one for a while...grrr :p

#90 av8r

av8r

SEE Support Mgr

• Project Team
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

Can the threads on this unable to play saved games bug/error be consolidated?

I think theres about 3 of them out there now?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#91 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

Try using the other installation method. The normal, clarified by the Manual. Not the one these new-fangled hippies came up with, with the "C:\" before SEE :p

I'm not feeling the respect here....

:closedeyes: You have PM Clone...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#92 falahid

falahid
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:30 PM

i have a problem whith the SEE mod i download it and when i start it up i get to see error game.dat
here i my target whith shortcut:"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth II\lotrbfme2.exe" -mod SEE
start in:"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth II"
what did i do wrong?

#93 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Basically everything! =p

Go HERE! :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 18 November 2007 - 04:48 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#94 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

patch to 1.06

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#95 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

That too...

But if nothing else, that path was completely wrong and not at all in line with the Instructions. Not the old, nor the new :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#96 sniggles

sniggles
  • Project Team
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm back - LOL

Only been gone a day - didn't like The Witcher - waste of £18.

Back to good old BFME2 and SEE.

Okay - regarding these installation problems;

It is hard to get the install info perfect for everyone - we are all at different tech levels and experience.

Naz and Clone have done a fine job and i followed the new install guide with no problems - However;

It could be a bit less complicated for some people if we leave out the game exe shortcut supplied by Naz and his info on editing it to work with there game.

Since Naz is more advanaced then the average gamer - he has not done a typical BFME2 game install and therefore his shortcut exe can be a bit confusing.

It is so simple that i find it hard to believe so many of us are having problems.

Heres a simple install guide that i am using;

1) Defrag your drive

2) When installing BFME2 select the advanced install pathway option and rename the game folder to 'BFME2 ' so the pathway reads - C:\BFME2

3) Get the latest patch (1.06) and patch up game

4) Download latest SEE mod and put the SEE folder in your main hard drive location (usually ' C ' )

5) Put the official normal game exe for BFME2 (which should be on your desktop) in another folder for safekeeping (we will not be using this but keep it in case you want to run BFME2 without the SEE mod)

6) Look inside the BFME2 main folder ( C:\BFME2 ) and right clic the game exe (it is a gold ring icon called 'lotrbfme2') and select 'Send To - Desktop (create shortcut)'

7) Go to your desktop and right clic the new shortcut you created and slide down to 'properties'

The first editable target box will automatically be highlighted in blue - simply add this line to the end of the pathway -mod "C:\SEE"

The whole line should then read C:\BFME2\lotrbfme2.exe -mod "C:\SEE"

IMPORTANT NOTE - there is one space between exe and -mod and another between -mod and "C

Clic ' apply ' at the bottom and then ' done ' and you are now ready to play BFME2 SEE with the modified shortcut on your desktop.

Hope this helps anyone out and it works great for me.

The secret is to keep game pathways and irrelevent sub folders as short as possible for quick game access and less complications.
Posted Image

#97 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

I might add, installing SEE when you have BfMe2 already installed and patched up can also be as simple as this:

1. Move the whole downloaded SEE-folder to the plain C: directory. You now have all the mod's subfolders in "C:\SEE"
2. Now go to the desktop. Right-click (do not let go) on the ordinary BfMe2-Shortcut and move the mouse a bit to the side. Let go of the mouse button. A short menu appears with about three options. Choose 'copy'. A copy of the normal (and always working) shortcut appears, with which you could also start the ordinary game.
3. Rename this copy to 'Special Extended Edition' or whatever you like. Now edit it. You only have to add the string ---> -mod "C:\SEE" at the end of the first editable target box. DONE! :p

This way you don't have to worry about paths, since the original shortcut on your computer already contains the right ones.

Edited by Sûlherokhh, 18 November 2007 - 07:58 PM.

#98 sniggles

sniggles
  • Project Team
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

Yeah - See what i mean about different tech levels;

I didn't know that about holding the right mouse button over an exe shortcut etc and moving to the side to get your copy options etc.

A lot simpler.

Thanks Sul.

All gets us to the same route in the end.

With PC's you are constantly learning - that's what i like about them.

No ONE person will ever be the master - even Bill Gates - LOL.

We are always learning and all get good in our own little areas of expertise.

That's why sometimes even a newbie can sometimes teach us ' old codgers ' a thing or two.
Posted Image

#99 sniggles

sniggles
  • Project Team
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hey SUL,

If you are dtill around at the moment;

Do you know if it is possible to instruct the game to use a different folder for it's save files.

In other words i would like to shorten it greatly - maybe ' C:\ My BFME2 files ' or something.

Couldn't find any config files anywhere when i fully unpacked the main game that controlled this pathway.

Have you ever come across a controlling config or it is hardcoded?
Posted Image

#100 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:06 PM

Haven't seen any path for it, but i also never looked for it. You may wanna check out the .dat, .ini and other files inside the main game's directory though. At least there is a file showing the list (and order) of the ini-files' compilation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users