Minas Tirith - rescaled for S.E.E.

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#321 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:32 AM

Without the mountain... isn't it kinda NOT Minas Tirith?

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

But in the heart of its power lies weakness...

It takes but a single candle to hold it back...

Love is more then a candle...

Love can ignite the stars.

#322 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

:) I need it to be made, by a modeler. the current one ingame will not work with more than 3 levels.

#323 Grig

Grig
  • Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

Then... why not leave it at three levels? Not to be rude, but I doubt that anyone's gonna make a new mountain model... Its just supposed to be a representation of Minas Tirith anyway *shrug*

The Dark is patient...

The Dark is generous...

And it always wins...

But in the heart of its power lies weakness...

It takes but a single candle to hold it back...

Love is more then a candle...

Love can ignite the stars.

#324 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:55 AM

The one showcased here will be used, Im just experimenting with the idea that 7 levels might be possible.

#325 Lt Commander Chris

Lt Commander Chris
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  •  Head Coder and Jack-of-Most-Trades, Ultimate Empire at War

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

If he's willing to give it a go, don't discourage him! It would be a stupendous achievement if he succeeded :p
LTCC
Head Coder and Jack of Most Trades, Ultimate Empire at War

#326 King Earnur

King Earnur
  • Project Team
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:11 AM

Has there been any progress, because this is the most amazing map I've ever seen and to see it die would be a major disappointment. This has been the only map I've seen taht I would help if I could actually map and code, which I can't, but I'd like to learn if it could help

Edited by King Earnur, 17 November 2008 - 03:12 AM.

#327 CapnAstroSponge

CapnAstroSponge

title available

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Projects:Trolling the S.E.E Boards

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Well, since it'd be impossible to do the 7 levels, and we need more room, I was thinking.
Couldn't you use the already built in buildings on the inside and outside of the walls as working garrisons, "farms" etc?
Posted Image

Never come between a Capn and his..uh..AstroSponge? No, no...Never come between a CapnAstro and his Sponge! Uh.....this doesn't work as well as the other guys names..

I am..

Posted Image

#328 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think we simply can't add more room, the map is already as large as possible (correct me if I'm wrong).

And long time no SEE Capn! Where've you been?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#329 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:03 AM

Well, since it'd be impossible to do the 7 levels, and we need more room, I was thinking.
Couldn't you use the already built in buildings on the inside and outside of the walls as working garrisons, "farms" etc?

I like this idea :p Take out the need for buildings like farms and barracks and use the actual buildings that are already part of minas tirith. It would save on room, make it look more realistic, and probably allow for the extra levels.
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#330 Guest_GeneralYin_*

Guest_GeneralYin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

How about using the postern gate model, and recoding it to train units. It would give the appearance of there being barracks and garrisons within the walls and against the cliff faces themselves within Minas Tirith.

1. It is a sensible and logical concept. If I were a building planner in Minas Tirith, I would definitely consider posting garrisons of archers and soldiers within the walls themselves and not in some special purpose built detached building on the third level.

2. There would be no need to build entire buildings within Minas Tirith (archery range, stables). This is a real space saver, and gives mappers the chance to possibly narrow the levels if they choose.

3. The postern gate model is large enough anyway to allow soldiers and horsemen alike to issue forth into battle.

4. These new in-wall barracks can be built from a build plot. Not unlike the original postern gate, or the trebuchet/battle tower wall piece.

5. It can be adapted for other functions (secret passages for quick movement of defending troops around the city).

Furthermore, if this object can be created, then it can be used on other fortress maps (Helm's Deep, Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Rivendell, the Grey Havens) for the same purposes.

If that could be done, I think it would be great!

What do you guys think?

#331 CapnAstroSponge

CapnAstroSponge

title available

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Projects:Trolling the S.E.E Boards

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

How about using the postern gate model, and recoding it to train units. It would give the appearance of there being barracks and garrisons within the walls and against the cliff faces themselves within Minas Tirith.

1. It is a sensible and logical concept. If I were a building planner in Minas Tirith, I would definitely consider posting garrisons of archers and soldiers within the walls themselves and not in some special purpose built detached building on the third level.

2. There would be no need to build entire buildings within Minas Tirith (archery range, stables). This is a real space saver, and gives mappers the chance to possibly narrow the levels if they choose.

3. The postern gate model is large enough anyway to allow soldiers and horsemen alike to issue forth into battle.

4. These new in-wall barracks can be built from a build plot. Not unlike the original postern gate, or the trebuchet/battle tower wall piece.

5. It can be adapted for other functions (secret passages for quick movement of defending troops around the city).

Furthermore, if this object can be created, then it can be used on other fortress maps (Helm's Deep, Minas Morgul, Dol Guldur, Rivendell, the Grey Havens) for the same purposes.

If that could be done, I think it would be great!

What do you guys think?

I quite like it, actually. It's a more detailed version of my suggestion. :thumbsupsmiley:
Perhaps you'd like to register? :wink_new:
Posted Image

Never come between a Capn and his..uh..AstroSponge? No, no...Never come between a CapnAstro and his Sponge! Uh.....this doesn't work as well as the other guys names..

I am..

Posted Image

#332 Guest_GeneralYin_*

Guest_GeneralYin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

I'm considering it. :thumbsupsmiley:

#333 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

G'day General Yin

Excellent idea's :p
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#334 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, GeneralYin, I really like that idea... ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#335 *Ranger*

*Ranger*
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

Is the map finished?

#336 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

Is the map finished?

I'm pretty sure it isn't done.
Greetings, community.

#337 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ok so a 7 level version is not possible, atleast by my standards. I tried and wasnt happy with the results.

SEE will use the version shown in this thread, While all the map work is complete, there are some minor things to wrap up on it in the area of geometry. Robnkarla was doing that work since he had recently had a number of personal challenges that needed attending to i doubt he has finished this. But I do know that all the geometry issues have been worked out because in the private beta of the Rj-mod he has the map working 100%. Now its just a matter of doing it for SEE.

#338 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

Would you mind collecting the current map's actual screenshots in the very first post? :p

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#339 Floris

Floris

title available

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Projects:My first map: Esteldin, hideout of the Dunedain Rangers.

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

I really like the idea of GeneralYin, and I'd love to see how Minas Tirith looks now.
The race of Men is failing, the blood of Númenor is all but spent – its pride and dignity forgotten… It is because of Men the Ring survives.

#340 elbenmensch

elbenmensch
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

Would you mind collecting the current map's actual screenshots in the very first post? :p

Hey sul nice to SEE you again :p

Sorry for being a little pushy, but will you start working on this mod again?
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users