• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

speaking of lag, how much is there with full sized armies on this map?

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#82 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Any "competition" with you would be purely coincidental and non intentional, as I hope you'll understand: p But don't worry though, I don't think a reworked map would be better than a whole map-mod as yours :p

We're all modding the same game though, so at some point all BFME-mods are gonna have more or less similarities :rolleyes:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#83 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

It is possible, like mh_gollum said, but the game was never really designed to go past 600X600. The amount of lag would increase and I don't know how the mini-map and pathfinder would work.

helms deep will have its own set of difficulties to overcome.

Considering I'm been working for over a year on that map, might I suggest not bothering on that one :blush: Hehe... just kidding... do what you want :rolleyes: You're just going to have a really tough time (and competition), that's all :p

If youve been working on it over a year, by all means Ill let you do it.
the lag is only a problem when using the rj cam for me, the city doesnt use more polys its all the same buildings just scaled up, the map is currently a four player map. the current object count is around 1100. keep in mind Im not going to use all the object that were in the original city. so I doubt Ill go over 1500.
and now more beauty shots:
http://i220.photobuc.../the3rdgate.jpg
http://i220.photobuc...1983/second.jpg
http://i220.photobuc...tandsecond2.jpg
http://i220.photobuc...standsecond.jpg

#84 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:11 AM

I just can't imagine how this can get any more awesome. Minas Tirith being MINAS F*CKING TIRITH, THE CITY OF KINGS! Hey, Rob 38, do you think you could lend a hand to njm1983 if Naz decides he wants Helm's Deep to be redone?
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#85 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

Any "competition" with you would be purely coincidental and non intentional, as I hope you'll understand: p But don't worry though, I don't think a reworked map would be better than a whole map-mod as yours :p

We're all modding the same game though, so at some point all BFME-mods are gonna have more or less similarities :lol:

I know. No complaints here :good:

Hey, Rob 38, do you think you could lend a hand to njm1983 if Naz decides he wants Helm's Deep to be redone?

Don't know... I would really have to think about that ;)

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#86 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

I think dear Rob has enough work on his hands, and I also think it would feel strange to do yet another work load on Helm's Deep when your alrady working a a gigantic workover on the same thing for your own mod... :p But if he/you would ever want to, you know you're always welcome here. But I wouldn't count on it ppl :lol:

One thing is for sure though: I HATE the EA version of Helm's Deep. It looks nothing like the movie and at some point I'll find someone that would like to redo it, in the same quality as NJM is doing MT :good:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#87 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Rob38's a guy? Really? Wow. That......wow.... :good:
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

I think dear Rob has enough work on his hands, and I also think it would feel strange to do yet another work load on Helm's Deep when your alrady working a a gigantic workover on the same thing for your own mod... ^_^ But if he/you would ever want to, you know you're always welcome here. But I wouldn't count on it ppl ;)

One thing is for sure though: I HATE the EA version of Helm's Deep. It looks nothing like the movie and at some point I'll find someone that would like to redo it, in the same quality as NJM is doing MT :good:

Hehe... tell me about it :p And yes, it would feel strange indeed :sad: I don't think anybody is particularly fond of EA's HD map. I was so excited when I got to it in the campaign, but to my disappointment, it wasn't what I was hoping it to be :sad: It seemed like EA started out with a good idea but never finished it.

Rob38's a guy? Really? Wow. That......wow.... :mellow:

I am? :huh:

About the MT map, how many walkable levels are there? It really is looking nice. Did you actually create any new models or has it all been done with the scaling tool? If it's all been in done with just the scale tool, than I'm impressed :good:

Edited by Rob38, 19 November 2007 - 07:39 PM.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#89 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

doesn't matter anyways :sad:

anyways... am I the only one that likes EAs' HD map? :p I know, it's not movish... but it's a good game map none the less :mellow: IMO...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#90 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

I thought EA's map was small but good.

I too am curious about walkable levels. I was mucking about in WB yesterday trying to work out its possible to have more than 3 full accessable (because of the mountain wedge - you only have two tunnels, so any more levels and you can only access one of the sides at a time)
Posted Image

#91 Mercyy

Mercyy
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • Projects:Edain mod campaign and other mapping
  •  Fan of all Mods, with LotR Feeling

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

yes, I liked it too:P

@ Rob:
Yes, for me it looks just like resized buildings.
It's always very impressive if you see, what some rescaling can change to the whole look :p
Posted Image

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#92 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:02 AM

the whole thing is done with the scale tool, hehe. I would love to get more levels of the city myself but that is impossible without making all new models, or ignoring the cities layout. studying pictures of the city the 2nd 3rd and 4th levels are actually quite thin not to mention the pass through tunnels are quite a bit smaller. as well as a level being missing. The few things I wanted to accomplish with this map were these:

make the city larger giving it a "city feel" with many buildings.

follow the cities layout as closely as possible, given the models I had to work with and mostly with the gate ramps, forcing the player to zigzag. you get 3 levels, should also be noted in the film mordors army never got passed the third level. correct me if im wrong though. :p

make the city feel older and less polished, the EA one had this shiny new feel about it. and the city is 1000 years old.

incorporate more mountain parts into the city, after all the city is built into a mountain, there should be more rock faces.

Edited by njm1983, 20 November 2007 - 01:12 AM.

#93 DragonLord

DragonLord
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's Special Extended Edition (Player)
  •  Ruler of Dwarves

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

I have a question about the MT map. Will all the buildings inside it be able to be caught on fire and/or destroyed by the opponent? I want it to look like in the movie with the buildings on fire and all the people dying. :p
Posted Image

The Valar had to nerf Dwarves, or we would of taken over the world before it even began... :D

#94 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

I have a question about the MT map. Will all the buildings inside it be able to be caught on fire and/or destroyed by the opponent? I want it to look like in the movie with the buildings on fire and all the people dying. :p

umm I opted to have it so the buildings within cant be attacked because they have no damage states, and when destroyed they just disappear, it looks horrible. but if a modeler wants to fix these things...

#95 Feudal_Knight

Feudal_Knight

Pacman

• Project Team
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:31 AM

I just had the pleasure of discovering this... and i must say its absolutely beautiful!

#96 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

As far as i know, the city was even a lot older than 1000 yrs. It was just renamed after the Kin-Strife, from Minas Anor to Minas Tirith.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#97 el kevo

el kevo

title available

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Projects:Staff at Flameguard's "Game Sector Network"

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:23 AM

You know. In the movie the Orcs only make it to the 2nd level gate so really i see hardly any reason to add more layers unless you want more lag.

Or you can separate them into 2 different maps/campaign missions. The first map has the 1st 3 floors while the 3nd map has the final 4 floors
Posted Image

#98 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:16 AM

As far as i know, the city was even a lot older than 1000 yrs. It was just renamed after the Kin-Strife, from Minas Anor to Minas Tirith.

hmm, I kinda figured that, I was going off what gandalf said in rotk extended edition. the city itself was founded by isildurs brother right? before the last alliance, so that would make the city 3000 years old based on elronds statement in fotr about being there 3000 years ago when isildur took the ring.

you know your probably right about the orcs getting to the second level, but I think they were past the gate to it, probably another gate in the city. the renders and photos of the city ive seen dont have a small second level gate, and in the movie when gandalf and pip are talking about "not thinking it would end this way" its a gate not much bigger than an attack troll, cause hes the one bashing at it. plus base on its location it might actually be around the mountain that bisects the city. see the pic its really small only one I could find.

http://i220.photobuc...83/rotk1699.jpg

Edited by njm1983, 20 November 2007 - 07:30 AM.

#99 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:32 AM

A small tip: If you have the movies, which I presume you have :p you can use VLC Player and it's screen capture/dump function to grab screens that will place themselves in your "My Pictures "folder. A great way to get material to work with =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#100 Soviet

Soviet
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

actually they make it all the way to the last gate. Near the part where the rohirrim arrive, Gandalf says something to the effect of 'retreat to the last level'. Also, Gandalf and Pippin are making their last stand, which implies they are at the 7th gate. Then, if you look at the view of Minas Tirith after The Army of the Dead arrives, all 7 layers are on fire.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users