• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

Considering the focus on the WOTR timeframe that the mod is leaning towards; I am against Beornings, Woodsmen, etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 Bengamey

Bengamey
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

I know I'm reopening a close subject but I think that Beornings and woodmen would make a great Inn faction for both dwarves and elves. There helped Mirkwood elfs several time at war. Dwarves say that beornings are not really keen on dwarves but Beorn hosted Thorin and his companion, he came to battle to save them. Moreover Gimli in the Fellowship says once again Beorning dislikes dwarves because now they are becoming suspicious; But he also says that he's really fond of beorning's food. So he had least once shared a beorning meal. Moreover beorning's didn't get in trouble with dwarves any time.

The truth is that dwarves are paranoïacs and think every people of Middle Earth dislike them. I don't ask Beornings to be permanent units of dwarves like men of Dale and Esgaroth. But only potential allies from the Inn. They would do the job way better than improbable men from Southern Fiefdom (Wich by the way are great. I always make an alliance with them while playing Gondor)

And there is how I see them.

lvl1 : - swordmen of the woods : Tall men with swords that come by batallion of 4 and can hide near trees

- woodwardens : Tall men with bows that come by batallion of 4 and can hide near trees (but unlike ranger with no fire arrows, nor sword to fight in close combat, nor arrow rain power)

- birds of the forest : (limit 1) flying spies that are stealth

lvl2 : - great hounds : a batallion of 6 big dogs that have a sprint power ability that can allow them to go as fast as cavalry for 2 or 3 sec (but witout trample or knockback)

- Bees:(upgrade): your inn now produce a small amout of ressources by making honey

lvl3 : - Bestial strength: (upgrade) increase damage of human units

- Warg leather: (upgrade) increase armor with the use of the skinn of wargs

lvl4 : - shapeshifter : (limit 3) a huge man that come alone and can change himself into a mighty bear

lvl5 : - Grimbeorn : the mighty shape shifter, son of Beorn

- Some ranger style hero that need a name and that wood be another leader of the woodmen

- Natural resiliance : (upgrade) availble for birds, hounds and shape-shifter, increase maximum HP

lvl6 : - Radagast I know he is also in Rohan but he really belongs to Beorn's friend. Moreover chances that 2 Radagast came to battle on a map with an elf, a dwarf and a rohan player are really small.

Edited by Bengamey, 10 April 2009 - 10:07 PM.

#43 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

Radagast really doesn't fit in Rohan... I think that concept is very nice. :rolleyes:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#44 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

I disagree, I think having him in Rohan gives a slight edge when it comes to gameplay. What other faction has a Wizard on an eagle? :rolleyes:

#45 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:40 AM

The only factions I could see Radagast in are the elves, dwarves, and Rohan so do whatever feels right i guess
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#46 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:59 AM

Radagast belongs with the Beornings. He had nothing to do with Rohan and little to do with the elves and dwarves. His main province was animals, and he was Beorn's friend.

#47 Dunedain Lord

Dunedain Lord
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Projects:beating Yoda

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Radagast belongs with the Beornings. He had nothing to do with Rohan and little to do with the elves and dwarves. His main province was animals, and he was Beorn's friend.

technically, it was inferred they were friends in the hobbit, but it was never mentioned they were actual friends.
Didnt Beorn just go(when Gandalf said he was Radagast's cousin) "Oh Radagast? I know him. He's a good guy." Something diff. then
that but basically the same thing.
Really, he had NOTHING to do with Middle Earth. He was one of the weakest of the Istari, and he's basically a tree-hugger.
Radagast shouldnt even be a hero IMO. If anything, he shuld belong in rohan, b/c, even if he never encounted w/ them, rohan needs a wizard in the faction.
"Now, men of Arnor. Let us restore the glory of the Dunedain! To battle, and victory!" King Argeleb

#48 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:58 AM

He SHOULD be a hero. Even if he was "weak: compared to the other istari, he still could woop anyones butt as long as it wasn't a wizard. He's powerful and has powers and still helped miidle earth occasionally like taking on Sauron in Mirkwood
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#49 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

He did at that. And no, Rohan doesn't "need" a wizard. They just need better ents. :blush:

#50 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

I love these ideas for a Beorning Inn faction, as well as the beleif that Radagast belongs with his Woodsmen and Beorning neighbors
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#51 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me too :blush:

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#52 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

I think that Radagast is cool in Rohan. Lore-wise, it is questionable but he does make a nice change in the hero tree for Rohan. I mean you have lots of mounted heroes; So I think that Radagast adds a nice change that pattern.

Considering the focus on the WOTR timeframe that the mod is leaning towards; I am against Beornings, Woodsmen, etc.

Then there's cookie-cutting issues, Inn looking like a recycling bin, no gameplay need for them, lore being crammed down throat, mod crowding, etc, etc.

I am against having a Beorning faction of any sort.

Edited by Scryer, 12 April 2009 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Bengamey

Bengamey
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Beornings and woodmen didn't disapeared in 60 years they still exist by the time of the War of the Ring.
I tried to make also a faction that's doesn't look like a recycling bin by concepting them beeing a structured but original faction. In fact, they come from a gameplay need. Look it doesn't make any sense having Southern Fiefdom, Gondor or even Rohan beeing an Inn faction for Dwarves and Elves so I asked myself what could be the Inn factions for them and them Ithought of Beornings. hum.. yes, they are cool, something could be made with them. I didn't thought how could I at all cost put them somewhere. You should go to the Inn faction topic I made. I want them to be for Erebor and Mirkwood what SF are for Gondor.

For now I only make Inn alliance with SF and Rohan when I play Gondor. Sometime with dwarves when I play elves or with elves when I play dwarves and Rohan. I don't make other alliance because it disgust me on a lore aspect.

And the Inn faction that looks too much like a recycling bin for now, are elves I don't see the coherence of them.

#54 Dunedain Lord

Dunedain Lord
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Projects:beating Yoda

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

He did at that. And no, Rohan doesn't "need" a wizard. They just need better ents. ;)

i consider the fact that rohan should have gandalf, but he's in gondor.
So in my case, they do. I wish ents could change what theyre aiming at instead of reaching down for another rock. sighs.........
"Now, men of Arnor. Let us restore the glory of the Dunedain! To battle, and victory!" King Argeleb

#55 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

Ditto on the ents.

Beornings and woodmen didn't disapeared in 60 years they still exist by the time of the War of the Ring.

The War of the Ring era didn't focus or revolve around the woodsmen. This mod has a really strong focus on the War of the Ring era after Smaug. I think that the woodsmen and Beorn/Beornings should make an appearance in the campaign (because some of the campaign does go through Bilbo's adventures. Yes this is true if you look around the campaign forum little bit :mellow:).

I tried to make also a faction that's doesn't look like a recycling bin by concepting them beeing a structured but original faction. In fact, they come from a gameplay need.

How? We've got turtlers, assaulters (from Guerrilla to organized assaulters), and everybody inbetween. All of the core factions of RJ-ROTWK cover different gameplay strategies. Would an organized tech tree really cover anything new for skirmish/WOTR mode?

Look it doesn't make any sense having Southern Fiefdom, Gondor or even Rohan beeing an Inn faction for Dwarves and Elves so I asked myself what could be the Inn factions for them and them Ithought of Beornings.

This is really arguable. It would depend on the map that you're playing on.... Let's not get into this whole "Inn system doesn't make sense" bit.

hum.. yes, they are cool, something could be made with them. I didn't thought how could I at all cost put them somewhere. You should go to the Inn faction topic I made. I want them to be for Erebor and Mirkwood what SF are for Gondor.

THe Inn system needs to be looked at as a whole, eventually. And it doesn't look like the Elves are going to have Inn factions only available to their mini-factions m(rivendell, mirkwood, lorien). This would probably be due to super complex coding issues. And what difference would they make even if they were only available to Mirkwood? Mirkwood specializes in stealth and guerrilla tactics, which is the only tactic that I see the beornings and woodsmen do anyways.

I apologize if you get offended by my post. But I really don't agree with a beorning/woodsmen inn faction.

Edited by Scryer, 12 April 2009 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

To bring this back to Radagast for a sec, and also keeping in mind that this works if Beorings are present in rohan or the inn system, Radagast belongs wherever they are, i.e the Beornings would be the mutual friend that ties the two together.
But on another nite, Radagast does belong in Rohan. Since his concern was with nature, then it makes sense that he is with the ents

And my stance is that Beorning should be put in the inns
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#57 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

His main concern was with animals, not ents. Still, if he must be in Rohan... *sigh*

#58 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Rohan has horses ;)

And, a Wizard makes a faction more fun, you know, I think Gondor is boring, but with Gandalf, it's fun. And, since Rohan is but a faction with Men, a Wizard makes the faction cool(and, ofcourse, a lot of cavalry).
Posted Image

#59 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Oh, come on... the Men factions are awesome! Especially MotE... ;)

The Beornings are getting very lonely. :crazed:

#60 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

Rohan would be fine without Radagast I think, but it's no harm having him in.

I've still never used him ;)

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users