#61 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

I've used him, but I've never gotten him to the point of eagle riding.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#62 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

I always thought that his eagle was handy, making him fast enough to stick with the rest of Rohan.

Edit: Lots of errors in that sentence.

Edited by Scryer, 13 April 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

Thats why I like having him in Rohan. :D

Edited by shadowcreature, 13 April 2009 - 03:36 AM.

#64 Jedi Master Chief

Jedi Master Chief
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

So i truly love the idea of Beornings, and having Huorns would be sweet to, they could be a cheaper weaker version of an ent

#65 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:20 PM

I've already argued this fifty billion times, but Bard + Beorn -> Dwarves regardless of timeline because playability is more important and there isn't such a large time distance anyway and you're allowing other discrepancies with the timelines. Beorn would fight alongside the dwarves whether he liked them very much or not, because he lived close by and they both share the common enemy. If Beorn thought his homeland was in danger, he'd go off to fight the invaders alongside the Dwarves. Bard is such a good hero you can't drop him in favour of some generic archers who nobody knows or cares about, plus have an awful power set. This is why I went to the trouble of describing Bard and Beorn and their power sets to such length and beautifully crafted detail in the Dwarves topic, and I'll be damned if it gets ignored.

Radagast I'd personally stick with the Dwarves for the same reason as Beorn, although technically he could go with anyone in the north-east part of middle-earth. The Dwarves need quality heroes, not these cheap rubbish ones, namely Thorin III (who I have provided a reworking of to suit a Loremaster-type hero, although I think I called him Dwalin), Borin IV who serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, Brand who's mediocre at best and should be replaced by Bard, and Prince Bard who sucks and has retarded assassin/destroyer super-powers. I'd say axe Borin, Prince Bard and Brand, and replace them with Radagast and my versions of Bard and Beorn. Thorin could be kicked, or changed to my loremaster template, or you could just keep him if you were lazy. I'm sorry, but I have a real grudge against the new Dwarf heroes in RJ-RotWK, and I think you'll all agree in me saying that it would be far better to have them replaced by heroes who are known and loved by the fans and players, and who actually serve a purpose and have canonical powers, than generic rubbish heroes who have at best one tiny mention in some appendix somewhere and who nobody cares about.

Huorns could be fun, perhaps as a summon? They'd be like slightly faster mini-ents.

Edited by Hasfusel, 01 June 2009 - 12:21 PM.

#66 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

BEORN IS DEAD.

#67 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

Grimbeorn his son is alive

and before dunedain lord tries to contest the prescece of Beornings in the mod the land of the Beornings was attacked by the orcs of the misty mountains, about the same time the fellowship was attacked by the uruk-hai. What's to say they didn't fight if they were under attack, they were also written to have assisted the Wood-elves when they came under attack from Dol-Guldur.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#68 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Well, there is Grimbeorn... I just thought people would like to know that the beloved skin-changer from The Hobbit is unviable because the simple fact remains that he's dead. :p

#69 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

BEORN IS DEAD.

NOBODY CARES, I'VE EXPLAINED THIS SIXTY TIMES ALREADY.

Due to the already flexible timeline of this mod it would be truly stupid to sacrifice the sheer playability, originality and characters of Bard and Beorn in exchange for some rubbish random heroes nobody likes. Do you think anybody would start playing, and then grasp their faces in angst as they realise Beorn's in the mod? Quite the opposite.

Edited by Hasfusel, 05 June 2009 - 11:20 AM.

#70 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

I'm sorry, milord, I'd forgotten that your opinion carried far more weight than everyone else's, including those who would rather see Lore in the mod. Not to mention that anything that you say should obviously be implemented by the team without any intelligent debate, since you know all. :shiftee2:

#71 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hmm, men changing into animals.
Why do the words "Fire Emblem" and "Warcraft" keep popping into my mind?
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#72 Guest_Guest_Hasfusel_*_*

Guest_Guest_Hasfusel_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

I've given enough intelligent debate already in sixteen other threads. I just can't see why people are unhappy with Beorn. It's not Lore, it's common sense.

#73 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Okay, this whole Beorn/Grimbeorn thing might be getting out of hand. But it's just becuase Grimbeorn is not as well known as his father, this might have caused a slight mixup. But they're both the same they're both leaders of their own people, they're both skin-changers (no not furriers), and they both have the word "beorn" in their names. Grimbeorn is in essence like his father, possibly with similar attributes to Beorn. So cut the crap and get to the point all of you!!

Posted Image

#74 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

So either way, a Beorning could be hero could be involved, the exclusion of the Beorn or inclusion bears no difference to the mod as a whole. Tom Bombadil had no involvement in the WOTR of the ring and as minor characters go, he was one of the most minor, arguably not even needed and probably the reason he was left out of the movies, the same goes for Galadriel, she was a sideline character and although she was of great importance to the shaping of the story, still did not personally go to war as far as I know so her place in the mod is even in doubt. There is also the addition of several other heroes, that weren't in existence or reference lorewise in the mod. So I don't really understand why there is such a debate over this particular character who is referenced in Tolkiens lore and why there isn't over those characters which aren't referenced at all in Tolkiens lore.

Posted Image

#75 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

That's not quite true Ed, without Tom, the war of the ring would have been lost :shiftee2:

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#76 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Ya I get that but that was indirectly, he however did not have anything directly to do with the war of the ring. In the fact that he is indirectly involved in the story, so too could you argue that although Beorn does not appear within the current timeframe he also indirectly affected the WOTR. The argument behind both are fairly similar in that both characters are minor characters that rescued major characters and in the course of doing gave rise to important events which in turn lead to the war of the ring.

Needless to say, I know Beorn is dead but it would be a nice addition to have a Beorning in there, considering the mod all ready extends much of Tolkiens universe even beyond some lore elements then it would not be hugely outside of the lore to include it. I mean there is a planned overhaul of Angmar which allows the use of units and a faction outside of the later day WOTR era, I'm just not convinced focusing on this particular character as an exclude while including other aspects which aren't really involved in the WOTR is warranted. But that's just my opinion.

Saying that, I mean I am slightly biased, I love Tolkiens world and pretty much want everything in just to have a complete Middle-earth, of course I realise realistically, that's impossible.

Edited by Ed Of The 3rd Kind, 05 June 2009 - 09:14 PM.

Posted Image

#77 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

I love Tolkiens world and pretty much want everything in just to have a complete Middle-earth, of course I realise realistically, that's impossible.

Well not nescesarily.... :shiftee2:

Some people do plan to create expansives mod that stretches beyond the boundaries of the game.

Posted Image

#78 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:01 AM

Technically it was direct, as he saved the Ringbearer twice. :p

#79 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hey, about time line stuff.
In the mod you are able to fight Isengard with Arnor, or have two Witch Kings from two different timeliness at the same time.
So I say: Put Beorn in! :p
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#80 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Arnor and Angmar are in a completely different time period from the rest, so they can have more heroes. All of the other heroes in the mod (except Azog, who was badly named by EA) were alive at some point during WotR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users