MO 3.3 // Campaign, Cooperative & Challenge Discussion

• Please log in to reply
2298 replies to this topic

#781 aethiraes

aethiraes
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

Invaders, no. Basilisk and Salamanders, yes.

The Invaders are only there because it thematically makes sense.

Yuri's airforce is this weird sci-fi UFO fleet and the challenge revolves around this theme.

#782 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Invaders, no. Basilisk and Salamanders, yes.

The Invaders are only there because it thematically makes sense.

Yuri's airforce is this weird sci-fi UFO fleet and the challenge revolves around this theme.

I meant in Ascension Challenge. I don't mind Invaders, but it wasn't included in the HQ armada in said Challenge

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#783 siegelad

siegelad
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

I just had an interesting idea for an Epsilon coop mission where one player controls a Psi-Corps Trooper while the other one controls a Virus, it's set in Act I:

Objective 1: find and kill Boris

Objective 2: evacuate your troops

Don't kill any Soviet troops except for Boris

no idea if it could be an acceptable even if Act 1 was done already.

Edited by siegelad, 25 March 2017 - 10:40 PM.

Let there be light!

#784 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  •  Former Sith Lord who's stuck on earth, playing Video Games :P

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:45 PM

I just had an interesting idea for an Epsilon coop mission where one player controls a Psi-Corps Trooper while the other one controls a Virus, it's set in Act I:

Objective 1: find and kill Boris

Objective 2: evacuate your troops

Don't kill any Soviet troops except for Boris

no idea if it could be an acceptable even if Act 1 was done already.

Well Brain Reset is set at the same time and place as Dragonstorm so it's possible....

#785 Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna Kapsyla

The Badman

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Projects:Too Many To List
  •  Dr. Nitpick von Shitpost

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

The Virus was not in the PsiCorps arsenal that early, it belonged to the Scorpion Cell. His death was just from poisoning by Yuri iirc.

#786 Revan0123

Revan0123
  • Members
  • 99 posts
  •  Former Sith Lord who's stuck on earth, playing Video Games :P

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

The Virus was not in the PsiCorps arsenal that early, it belonged to the Scorpion Cell. His death was just from poisoning by Yuri iirc.

Maybe a coop mission where you poison the water supply that Boris drinks?

#787 Bernadiroe

Bernadiroe

Pepperoni

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

I thought Boris' death was from being hit by some shadow tanks..?

#788 CLAlstar

CLAlstar

The one and only master of Scorpion Cell

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  •  Worst MO Player

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

Those didnt exist at that time.

#789 doctormedic

doctormedic

Giver of Demolition trucks

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

obviously he died of old age

#790 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

I thought Boris' death was from being hit by some shadow tanks..?

Lol the scene on Morales' introduction is not canon

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#791 Bernadiroe

Bernadiroe

Pepperoni

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

ow... after all this time I thought that's the canon ending for him since his removal back in MO 3.0 hero spotlight ._.

#792 Transcient Being

Transcient Being
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

I think that author of the campaigns has some mental problems. That should be the only explanation of why the campaign is so f*cked up. How the f*ck should I know what's gonna happen soon in every mission if I : a) Didn't play before: b) Didn't watch it on youtube? You know, when you're walking through covert mission and pass it after 5 or more tries, then you get MCV and the enemy just perform f*cking assault with all his forces in the beginning and raise you from the earth, player just wants to break something. I acquire that mental difficulty is goddamn hardcore and I have to suffer on it but MAN THERE'S NO SAVE/LOAD OPTION. I don't know the reasons why there isn't, maybe it's explained somewhere (I didn't get it from file in "Save games" catalogue), it doesn't matter. What really matters is reason why in game/mod without save\load option is so unfair difficulty. I think that that was done for only purpose: to show people how DIS MAWD DIFKULT XD)))0 and to get people nervous.

Ah, and this brilliant "balance". I don't even want to talk about slooooooow building repairing, about became even more useless conscripts, about authors infantry (and occupied buildings) fetish making them f*cking ultimate weapon against any vehicles, about nerfed (no, not like that, NERFED) superweapons of allies and soviets etc etc etc. I'd say just one word. Foehn.

#793 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

https://forums.revor...ntal-omega-yet/

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#794 Transcient Being

Transcient Being
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

So I guess this feature will never be enabled?

#795 X1Destroy

X1Destroy

title available

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

Well, that's how it is. There's only one person working on it and with how thing goes recently, that won't happen.

"Protecting the land of the Free."
efXH1rz.png

#796 flack

flack
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Epsilon mission 2: This mission to me seemed harder than usual so I checked on youtube and saw that artillery cannons does not fire at epsilon infantry. But in my version of the game it does. This makes it significantly harder (not impossible because I gotten close to end) and I have yet to beat it on mental difficulty. Just wondering if this is a bug or it is intended?

Edited by flack, 26 March 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#797 TheWankBank

TheWankBank
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  •  What am I doing here?

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

Install 3.3.1, doesn't fire anymore.

iy2vXkp.png

Games -

Command and Conquer Red Alert 2/3 and Yuri's Revenge

Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars/ Kane's Wrath/ and Sun

Command and Conquer Generals and Zero hour

#798 flack

flack
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

? I do have v3.3.1

Edit: Nvm I already beaten it, once u capture the barracks it becomes very easy and straightforward.

Edited by flack, 26 March 2017 - 10:49 PM.

#799 Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna Kapsyla

The Badman

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Projects:Too Many To List
  •  Dr. Nitpick von Shitpost

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

I think that author of the campaigns has some mental problems. That should be the only explanation of why the campaign is so f*cked up. 

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not so, putting your rather rude remarks aside, let's take this step by step.

How the f*ck should I know what's gonna happen soon in every mission if I : a) Didn't play before: b) Didn't watch it on youtube? You know, when you're walking through covert mission and pass it after 5 or more tries, then you get MCV and the enemy just perform f*cking assault with all his forces in the beginning and raise you from the earth, player just wants to break something.

Youtube didn't exist back in the days of Tib. Dawn or Red Alert 1, and yet people still managed to beat the campaigns, even on the hardest difficulties. You could argue that the missions there were easier than Mental Omega's, but the point remains the same. You play the missions, you learn what happens, and if you lose, you take what you learned and apply it to a new playthrough. It's a process known as "Improvment", and "Getting better at something". You are not expected to beat the missions on your first try.

[...] but MAN THERE'S NO SAVE/LOAD OPTION. I don't know the reasons why there isn't, maybe it's explained somewhere (I didn't get it from file in "Save games" catalogue), it doesn't matter. What really matters is reason why in game/mod without save\load option is so unfair difficulty. I think that that was done for only purpose: to show people how DIS MAWD DIFKULT XD)))0 and to get people nervous.

Perhaps if you read the forums further than just the very top, even within the stickied threads, you would have noticed a peculiar named thread.

nVgL8xU.png

To make a long story short, Ares, the technology Mental Omega uses, currently cannot support Save/Load. The way Westwood programmed Save/Load was so that it worked for their game as they had it, and they didn't need to worry about anything messing with the game, or how Save/Load data is handled. Ares upends the engine a great deal to handle its improved and modified mechanics, and Save/Load isn't equipped to handle it. It was disabled so people wouldn't complain about their mods or games having broken and incompatible saves.

[...] about authors infantry (and occupied buildings) fetish making them f*cking ultimate weapon against any vehicles[...]

...What?

I'd say just one word. Foehn.

Foehn is nowhere near as Ungodly Overpowered as the memes claim they are. They may be a bit unbalanced, but you really have to be an effective player who knows how to micro significantly well to bring out Foehn's true potential. If you go in just expecting an easy win because you're playing Foehn, you're going to get your ass handed back to you faster than you can say "Live by the gun". 

#800 Gameman112358

Gameman112358
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:50 AM

I may not like his rude tone, but he does have a good point regarding the difficulty of MO sometimes. True, Tiberian Dawn and RA1 missions had the potential to be pretty hard, but at the same time, TD and RA1, from what I remember, had the ability to save and load from the get-go, meaning that you could S&L your way to victory. It made it much easier to do the campaign because of that.

In addition, TD and RA1 missions aren't nearly as difficult as the missions in MO; you either had enough firepower and resources to push through, or there was a trick (or "exploit", if you want to call it that) you could use, etc. MO doesn't give you either, and it does sometimes have a nasty tendency to throw out of left field curveballs at you that make you near automatically lose the mission (hidden Terror Drones, Riot Trooper + SEAL Paradrops, something like that).

The real problem is that you have to start over from the beginning; most of the campaign missions are long and hard (Singularity, Juggernaut, etc.); people are not going to start over from scratch for a nightmarish mission that takes freaking forever to do. If save and load was a thing, players would simply save constantly, then load from a point where they screwed up. They learn their lesson, but they don't have to start over at the beginning (which I find detrimental; usually people that get angry/stressed out make more mistakes, and given that they have to start over and the long length of the missions, those mistakes are bound to happen, which simply becomes a vicious cycle culminating in a big rage quit and possibly uninstalling the mod; I've heard stories of that happening). 

S&L may never be a thing for MO, but I can see the devs did hear the call their fans were making. Quite a few of the Act II missions, while still very hard, are much more player friendly to account for the lack of S&L ability. A few examples: E13: The Conqueror isn't a super hard mission, compared to the sh*t Epsilon goes through in Act I (Singularity will always be the hardest mission in MO, period, unless the devs can somehow pull something more sadistic on us. Which I doubt, given that even sadists/masochists have their limits on how far they can go.). E14: Huehuecoyotl is a hard mission at first, but you've got a lot of tools to help you through the first part, and later parts are a breeze compared to most of MO's campaign. Most of the Allied and Soviet missions either give you a base, or have a base be ready to be captured, and you have access to the full subfaction arsenal, meaning you could easily bunker down and wait until you're ready to attack.

As for Foehn being OP... they're not that bad for the most part. Powerful, but balanced, and can be countered if you're quick enough and know what you're doing. I would actually say there are parts of them that are slightly underpowered, if you can believe it.

Wings of Coronia:

Out of all of the subfactions, Coronia is the one that seems pretty strong out of the bunch IMO (a shocker for me, given that they're supposedly the subversive faction of the Foehn Revolt), but their reliance on air units means that T3 AA will give them a lot of trouble (well, provided Coronia's flying machines of war don't destroy the T3 AA in a matter of seconds. XD). Bring in tons of AA like Sentinels, Aeroblazes, Oxidizers, etc., and Coronia's air armada will have to be much more careful dealing with you (Watch out for Pteranodons though; they've been nerfed, but they're still tanky and fast enough to kite your T3 AA and kill it with relative ease). Also, Eureka needs a ton of buffs for her to be a viable hero in battle (I actually had to completely change her weapons to make her a viable hero. No, I'm not releasing the modified ini files, nor am I telling you how to get them, because I know most people will spoil the entire mod if I do. What I will tell you though is that I gave her a weaker but faster firing version of the Zorbtrotter's attack, modified to attack aircraft, as well a weaker but faster firing version of the Harbinger's collider cannons, and the Zorbfloater's rapid healing ability. That's what I had to do in order to make her viable. That screams that she needs buffs, really really badly.

Haihead:

They're great attackers, being able to do a lot of damage really quickly, as well as having some annoying tricks (Irritator's confusion ray, Syncronin/Syncronaut's structure weakener) but you do need to be careful with them, since some of their units have quirks that only work if you micro them a little bit (Cyclops Walkers don't get a damage boost unless you get close to the enemy in question, for example. Diverbees as well; you want to make sure they're targeting that tank platoon, not the lone GI/Conscript/whatever, and you need to make sure they don't die along the way).  Also, their general AA isn't that great (Teratorns have a lock on time, Knightframes require numbers to take aircraft down), and their T3 AA IMO sucks balls; doing constant DoT instead of heavy damage immediately hurts its performance against heavy aircraft from my experiences, and you'd have to be lucky to bring down fast aircraft like Stormchildren, Foxtrots, etc with it (Unlike something like Aeroblazes or Sentinels, which hit instantly, and do a ton of damage instantly). You can easily cause havoc in Haihead's ranks simply by bringing in a bunch of aircraft and constantly harassing them with air units. 

Last Bastion:

Great turtlers, I will say. They take China's formula, and turn it up a whole new level, as well as adding in a few other tricks (nanomachine repairs in the heat of battle and Nanocharge for example). Their units are extraordinarily tanky and powerful, being able to take damage and dish it back (Bison, Mastodons, Giantsbanes and their Synced cousins Godsbanes), and they've got plenty of defensive tricks up their sleeves (Sweeper, Plasmerizer, the aforementioned units also work). They're essentially defensive masters, and are great if you like turtling and/or steamrolling your opponent.

They have a weakness, however. Like China, their units are really freaking slow. Mastodons move as slowly as Nuwa Cannons, and Bisons are only slightly faster than they are. Their units also have a pretty hefty price tag on them, meaning you're going to have to spend wisely (Mastodons for example cost $2500; for reference, Nuwas cost $1800). Finally, they've got no way to deal with base defenses; the other two subfactions have something to help them destroy base defenses (Coronia has Tarchia Cannons to deal with stationary defenses, Harbingers work as well, kind of. Haihead has the blackout missile, which disables defenses altogether, as well as Syncronauts to weaken defenses so Haihead's forces can quickly destroy them), Last Bastion don't really have anything that can do that; I don't consider the Boidmachine to be an artillery, since you can only fire it once every 6 and 1/2 minutes, and their accuracy can be utterly terrible sometimes if you're not on high ground. Not mentioning that it can't even kill pillboxes, from my experiences (I consider the Boidmachine one of the underpowered things in Foehn that should get a BUFF, if you can believe it. XD). Last Bastion has to rely on slowly creeping towards the enemy and crushing them; faster subfactions can exploit this by simply waiting for the Last Bastion's main army to be away, then quickly blitz their base and destroy it, giving the army little time to return and respond, for example. 

If you go in just expecting an easy win because you're playing Foehn, you're going to get your ass handed back to you faster than you can say "Live by the gun". 

While playing as Foehn shouldn't be an easy win, it's not going to be easy for the enemy to defeat you either. Foehn's IMO a very powerful faction, and their subfactions are pretty strong, with their own quirks to each of them. They need a little work from the player, but at the same time, they've got a lot of powerful options to use, and quite frankly, facing off against a Foehn subfaction is never going to be easy, unless the skill level difference is somewhat large (20,000 APM player that knows everything vs complete newbie that just started. Hyperbole, I know, but you get the point. XD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users