Photo

MO 3.3 // Feedback & Suggestions (Balance, New Features, Modifications etc.)

• Please log in to reply
5127 replies to this topic

#3081 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

Heres a thing thats been bugging me for some time

Is it really necessary for T3 base defences have almost the same range as most ground artillery ? Can we get atleast some unit behaviour fix for artillery piece to stop the second they get to the range ? Aside from Scud and Hailstorm tanks i found that my Prism Tanks, Tarchia cannons, Plague splaterers, Buratinos, magnetrons, shardrays getting ripped apart by enemy base defences when they try to attack it. Because it seems that most artillery units have only 2 terrain titles more range than things like Neutralizer and AI doesnt respond to that small difference very well.

It works both ways, aside from Scud and Hailstorms, AI artillery units that are trying to attack my Hammers/Grand Cannons etc... are getting pummelled and due to the squishy nature, they are goners instantly.

The worst offender is Neutralizer as how it quickly rips apart the squishy artillery units.

#3082 BlackAbsence

BlackAbsence

BlargleGargle

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Is it really necessary for T3 base defences have almost the same range as most ground artillery ?

imo they wouldn't be proper T3 defences if they didn't. Countering artillery to some degree is kinda their job?

It's true that some factions have a tougher time attacking these things, but you can always use infiltration to shut down their power or use more tougher units as initial meat-shields to sneak in extra artillery time.

Defences are suppose to be good, especially since they're immobile?

Edit: Realism in a game like RA isn't a priority (it's the opposite, in fact) so a large walker or a giant UFO disproportionately exiting a factory isn't all that big of a deal.

However, I'm all for some kind of T4 structure that allows said epic units to be built from factories.

Edited by BlackAbsence, 09 March 2018 - 11:55 AM.

Infinitive absence.

#3083 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

They're not supposed to be good enough that you can camp with them, but you got some point

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#3084 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Whether artillery have superior range or not doesn't really matter in late games. Take and RA3 for comparison. Having far superior range doesn't encourage players to abuse siege units that much, it's the units' versatility (E.G. Athena's shield ability) that matters.

For me the artillery units are quite balanced in MO, as multi-role siege units such as Shadray and Magnetron already got their proper range handicaps. If there's anything to improve that'll be Scud's range and damage at a very low cost of $1400.

Edited by PACER, 09 March 2018 - 01:51 PM.

In-game speed vs real life speed?   
Malver in Obisidian Sands?   
Strength-Agility-Intellect subfactions?    

#3085 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

Edit: Realism in a game like RA isn't a priority (it's the opposite, in fact) so a large walker or a giant UFO disproportionately exiting a factory isn't all that big of a deal.

However, I'm all for some kind of T4 structure that allows said epic units to be built from factories.

In fiction, there is a thing called in-universe logic, or internal logic, which is the system of made-up physics, events etc that allow the stuff in the fiction to work. Stuff glitching trough each other isn't part of Red Alert's internal logic, AFAIK.

They're not supposed to be good enough that you can camp with them, but you got some point

I find defenses to be very situational, putting aside the fact that they are completely obsolete against China, at chokepoints, very heavy defenses can be built, but on open map, they are practically useless. I think that t3 defenses are balanced, for the most part.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#3086 J00B

J00B
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Safe to say this can be removed from MO now :thumbsupcool:

Game Directory/Saved Games/saves.txt

Saving & loading of missions in Mental Omega is currently not supported as the Ares Expansion DLL is still being developed.

Reenabling the feature every time something new is added to the Ares DLL is not an effective way to develop it so its developers have disabled the feature for now.

#3087 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

I think the IFVs' Archer variant needs a new turret. The current one seems to be little more than just an ugly recolor of the default, rocket launching one. Why not replace it with a large, ballista-like contraption? if possible, the turret could be animated too, with the string being visibly drawn back before firing.

Edited by Divine, 10 March 2018 - 09:48 AM.

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron

#3088 Nevermore2790

Nevermore2790
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Projects:Crossover Series

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:22 AM

Radar seems to be an issue with Peace Treaty. When the 2nd phase begins, after building a Psychic Beacon, you have no radar for the entire mission. This seems troubling as you have to scroll every bits and pieces on the map to know what the hell is going on.

#3089 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:40 AM

I still think it would be a idea to release certain ini files for private modding use, letting people experiment freely. 

#3090 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:44 AM

I still think it would be a idea to release certain ini files for private modding use, letting people experiment freely. 

So long as it is for private use, feel free to extract the rulesMO from the mix files. But NEVER release it to the public

#3091 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

Radar seems to be an issue with Peace Treaty. When the 2nd phase begins, after building a Psychic Beacon, you have no radar for the entire mission. This seems troubling as you have to scroll every bits and pieces on the map to know what the hell is going on.

I am 90% sure it is intentional to add dificulty as multiple enemies are attacking your base and beacon from multiple sides.

I think you are supposed to assign units to different groups and jump from one of them to each other.

Thats what i did.

Idle Gossip doesnt have radar either, but you can cap allied airforce HQ to get one and i believe thats what you are suppose to do anyway.

#3092 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:39 AM

I noticed that AI is now more stubborn, it refuses to resign and sell all of its buildings like it used to in previous version

When i was playing the hero slayer challenge i rushed Epsilons base, bombed all production facilities and then i retreated to the cliffs and i was praying that it will sell its structures in time. It didnt happened, and i and comrade AI had to destroy all its buildings on the map to remove them from the game.

I though

"Heh, i bet thats scripted for this map so it wont be as easy"

But after multiple skirmishes (And with short game turned on) the AI refuses to sell out, even if it has only lab, refinery and bunch of offline defences.

#3093 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I noticed that AI is now more stubborn, it refuses to resign and sell all of its buildings like it used to in previous version

When i was playing the hero slayer challenge i rushed Epsilons base, bombed all production facilities and then i retreated to the cliffs and i was praying that it will sell its structures in time. It didnt happened, and i and comrade AI had to destroy all its buildings on the map to remove them from the game.

I though

But after multiple skirmishes (And with short game turned on) the AI refuses to sell out, even if it has only lab, refinery and bunch of offline defences.

Some tech buildings prevents short game defeat. Tech Missile Silo for instance

#3094 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

I though

The AI only sells out if it can't produce anything. Anything includes: buildings, infantry, vehicles, and support/superweapons. As the battle lab type buildings provide support powers, the AI won't surrender if it has one, even if it has no power to actually use the support powers.

#3095 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I though

The AI only sells out if it can't produce anything. Anything includes: buildings, infantry, vehicles, and support/superweapons. As the battle lab type buildings provide support powers, the AI won't surrender if it has one, even if it has no power to actually use the support powers.

That's not correct. Just like any RA2 AIs and since the first day of 3.3.0, they just sell out when production buildings have all been destroyed.

As a proof, I just knocked out an easy AI but left his Palace and Field Bureau intact. He sold out.

#3096 Allied Commander ???

Allied Commander ???

Tweaks INI and MIX files

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Tech Miners for Tech Ore Refineries.

#3097 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

That's not correct. Just like any RA2 AIs and since the first day of 3.3.0, they just sell out when production buildings have all been destroyed.

As a proof, I just knocked out an easy AI but left his Palace and Field Bureau intact. He sold out.

Indeed? Now I've learned something new.

#3098 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:21 AM

Actually Divine is correct. If you knock the power out, however, the AI can't use their support powers, which equals to not having any support powers. That can lead to sellout.

I used paradrop support power to keep my AI from selling out in some of my co-ops. It works well

Idle Gossip doesnt have radar either, but you can cap allied airforce HQ to get one and i believe thats what you are suppose to do anyway.

It's not. If you play 3.0 when Radar Tower is not replaced by Field Bureau yet, you'll notice how you can get radar as normal.

Edited by Handepsilon, 12 March 2018 - 03:23 AM.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#3099 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:46 AM

Indeed? Now I've learned something new.

Seriously? From the very first day of Red Alert 2?

#3100 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

PACER, check my last post