BETA Thread

• Please log in to reply
816 replies to this topic

#81 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

I thought of that CAN_ATTACK_WALLS thing yesterday, but then noticed that Galadriel already had that in her ini.

Elvenlord, congratulations on the win! How come you both had a medium army on your side though?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#82 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

I thought of that CAN_ATTACK_WALLS thing yesterday, but then noticed that Galadriel already had that in her ini.

The only other thing I could think of was needed DamageType in the weapon, because the others do 0% damage to the armor... so for example:

DamageType	= SIEGE

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#83 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

I believe her ability does magic damage, which judging by how many times the Wizards have taken down my gates, that damage type should be fine.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#84 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armor GondorCastleWall		 ;Nigh-invulnerable and ancient walls and wall structures -JBender
  Armor = DEFAULT		 0%;this sets the level for all nonspecified damage types
  Armor = SIEGE		 100%; 20%;siege damage
  Armor = STRUCTURAL	100%;structural damage - Grond inflicts this kind of damage
End

Armor GondorCastleWallUpgrade ;Nigh-invulnerable and ancient walls and wall structures -JBender
  Armor = SIEGE		 100%;siege damage
  Armor = MAGIC		100%
End
Armor GondorCastleWallUpgradeAsTower ;Nigh-invulnerable and ancient walls and wall structures -JBender
  Armor = SIEGE		 100%;siege damage
  Armor = MAGIC		100%
  Armor = FLY_INTO	100%; so nazgul and eagle can swoop into upgrade only when it is a tower
End

Judging by this her magic damage should only be able to affect the upgradable walls (yes, the normal walls use the armor above). I'm not totally sure about this though, you'd probably have to test this...

EDIT: And if you have a look at the #1 siege hero, the Balrog, you'll see that all of his weapons have an extra nugget with Siege or Structural Damage...

EDIT #2: I didn't read your post well enough... yeah, she should be able to take down the gates with magic damage...

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 31 October 2006 - 09:46 AM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#85 Feanîmriel

Feanîmriel

Fighter for the Trees and the Light of Valinor

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Just a little question:
where can i find the elvenalliance.big??
where is it??
I mean the direction, because I searched through my whole computer an wasn't able to find it
can someone help me??
the rest is clear
Posted Image
We didn't do anything wrong in our lifes! We are still alive, that's all that matters.
- Feanîmriel -

#86 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

My location is:

C:\Documents and Settings\simon\Application Data\My Battle for Middle Earth Files\

where simon is my computer username.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, it was fun, adummy isn't as bad as he thinks he is, he just has to get used to facing humans and their quirks.... and be more agressive early on

I think call of the cuniven(I can't spell :p ) needs to be nerfed a little, I took out 2 batts of Galadrim and 3 batts of mirkwoods with just them :p ,poor adummy :p :)

Edited by Elvenlord, 31 October 2006 - 12:43 PM.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#88 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts
  • Projects:The Elven Alliance, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for all those extra ideas, DLotS! I'll start looking into your suggestions, they certainly look promising!

I think call of the cuniven(I can't spell :p ) needs to be nerfed a little, I took out 2 batts of Galadrim and 3 batts of mirkwoods with just them :p ,poor adummy :p :p

Really? I've never found them to be very powerful (I usually just use them as a distraction or last resort). Hmm... Anyone else have any thoughts?

And I'll just add something to FlameGuard's instructions on how to add in Gil-Galad:
- To open ElvenAlliance.big, you'll need to have the FinalBig program. It can be downloaded here: http://the3rdage.net/tools.php .

EDIT: Oh, lol! Last night I played as the Elves against Rohan for the first time (I can't believe I had never done that before). Holy wuh is that peasant rush ever hard to repel. Aragorn is also incredibly strong against other heroes (he killed Arwen (:)), Celeborn, and nearly Elrond while I wasn't paying attention). Might have to do something about that. On a side note: I'm starting to get the AI for the Elves to work, but am still having problems (the AI builds on the defensive plots rather than the building plots and Mordor just explodes right once the match starts).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#89 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

Okay, I finally played a longer battle with the Elves. My impressions:

Hats off for this mod, Cel, TEA really deserves all the praise... what I like most is your obvious love for details and all that artwork... it's just really stunning.

The main problem that I encountered with the Elves is their lack of a (rather) cheap sword unit in the beginning. Since all the units are so expensive you need to totally focus on expansion of farms (preferably settlement farms), which leaves you vulnerable. I would have advised you to do some Rivendell Swordmasters if we didn't already use them :)

Oh yeah, and the elven mist is a bit too powerful compared to the effect and reload time... at least in my opinion.

EDIT: A small note: maybe you want to do some more buttons... I think that elrond sword button is used about 3 or 4 times, with different colours :p

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 31 October 2006 - 01:20 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#90 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

The main problem that I encountered is their lack of a (rather) cheap sword unit in the beginning. Since all the units are so expensive you need to totally focus on expansion of farms (preferably settlement farms), which leaves you vulnerable. I'd advise you to do some Rivendell Swordmasters if we wouldn't already use them :p

I didn't want to do this, but I've been getting the impression from a number of people that I should have an early game melee unit. Is there anyone against me making something?

Oh yeah, and the elven mist is a bit too powerful compared to the effect and reload time... at least in my opinion.

This, I definitely agree with. I had recently increased the effect time of the spell, but I forgot to increase the reload as well.

EDIT: Another quick side note: I've reworked Elrond's Bruinen power. Rather than the big tidal wave looking model I had before, I've decided to have him fire off 6-8 (still balancing that) of the horses used in Arwen's Loudwater Fury. I've also enhanced the water splash FX on both so it all looks quite impressive now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#91 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

I didn't want to do this, but I've been getting the impression from a number of people that I should have an early game sword unit. Is there anyone against me making something?

I can understand that you don't want to do it just like EA, but the way the early gameplay and balance is set up, it almost requires such a unit. Or you'd need to have the one perfect balancing idea...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#92 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

Or you'd need to have the one perfect balancing idea...

Which I don't, lol :p . Anyway, here's the idea for the unit: Axes of Lindon (axe wielding Sindarin elves from the western coast)?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#93 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hmm yeah, why not? Just make them cost 200 or so and you can stick to the stronger-and-more-expensive-than-everyone-else way :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#94 Celeglin

Celeglin

Silhouette of a Serenade

• Hosted
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yip. I'll rework the Lorien Barracks (lol, that name doesn't really fit now, but oh well... Not making a new model for it) so it's like this:

Level 1: Axes of Lindon (200)
Level 2: Spearmen of the Havens (600)
Level 3: Galadhrim Warriors (700)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#95 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, that should balance it out again :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#96 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

I personally see no problem with the elves early game. Massed Mirkwood Scouts in ambush formation means almost no enemy gets through them, and I wouldn't have thought any unit built at the Lorien Barracks could be classified as an early game unit, due to the high buildcost of that building.

Also, Haldir is an early game swordsmen :)

Call of the Cuivinen is just right IMO. It will certainly tur the tide of ealy battles, but not so much that you don't need to use your own units. I personally just use them to hold off the enemy while my mirkwood scouts fire volleys of arrows into the enemy. Man I love those mirkwood scouts :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#97 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

The beta is amazing! Amazing! Amazing!

As to all this about balance, I just played with 1 allied Rohan army against 4 hard armies and won quite easily. Eary game, getting Arwen quickly enables you to quickly level her up and start killing, then getting 1 tower protects your base giving you time to gradually expand. Arwen using her speed ca protect most your farms so I'd be disappointed if the axemen of Lindon were added as it would remove all strategy from he elves :'(

#98 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

Hey there! (Im figting uruk hai, dont have an account here though)
I absolutley adored the BETA, I have never seen so much qaulity in a mod.
If anyone wants to play online just post about it here.

I have a few balance suggestions for the mod, firstly I dont think you should add an early game melee to elves, I like their early game play, very ambush like and unique among the factions, if you add axemen then it will just be too easy, as you could put the mirkwood archers in ambush mode and they own all, while axemen stop enemy melee troops.
And a list of other suggestions:

The thing that calls avari dudes is way too good, ive wiped out whole armies with it, I think it should give 2 batts archer 1 batt sword for less time.

When Haldir is lvl 7 and he has the blade power he can kill most heroes in 2- 3 hits, maybe make this power much weaker and just add some hp to Haldir as a replacement.

The dol amoroth knights are far superior to rivendell riders yet they cost the same, I think they should cost 850+ as I found spamming them was much more rewarding than getting infantry.

The sentinals of the woody end are crap full stop, 100, they dont even have a basic attack, they are only stealthed in trees, much wiser to get mirkwood archers.

Thank you once more celegin for making such a fantastic mod!

#99 zimoo

zimoo

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

The Woody End sentinels are supposed to be solely for scouting. I find they fit that purpose well.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

I personally see no problem with the elves early game. Massed Mirkwood Scouts in ambush formation means almost no enemy gets through them, and I wouldn't have thought any unit built at the Lorien Barracks could be classified as an early game unit, due to the high buildcost of that building.

Also, Haldir is an early game swordsmen

How can you mass them in the first few minutes?!? They cost almost as much as a new orchard...

Besides, Haldir is an early game hero, not what I consider an early unit to take out neutral lairs, spread on the map to build farms on settlements and engage the enemy early on...

The sentinals of the woody end are crap full stop, 100, they dont even have a basic attack, they are only stealthed in trees, much wiser to get mirkwood archers.

The Woody End sentinels are supposed to be solely for scouting. I find they fit that purpose well.

But this guy has a point. Rather have one battalion of cloaked mirkwood archers than three pretty useless sentinels. But maybe Cel could give them all-terrain stealth, they would be something like Gollum then...

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 31 October 2006 - 07:15 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users