Photo

New Ring Heroes? Debate - Movies v/s Books

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
428 replies to this topic

Poll: Should S.E.E. have new Ring Heroes for each faction? (113 member(s) have cast votes)

Good Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Evil Factions

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 Bruno62339

Bruno62339
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:02 PM

so, does this mean that the great goblin still has a chance at becoming a regular hero for the gobs?(sorry if it seems like i'm being selfish with my idea....)
Posted Image
^Signature by Serated

Life sucks, then you die :)

#42 Servant of Sauron

Servant of Sauron

The right hand of Saruman

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

I have a few problems with Sul's idea.

First of all any servant of Sauron would be far too frightened of Sauron(or perhaps the Witch-King)to steal the ring and still fight for the Dark Lord.

Likewise if any of Saruman's servants was foolish enough to take the ring from him they would be executed immiediately and Saruman would take the ring for himself.

Then characters like Faramir for example who were tempted by the ring would not have taken it for themselves(Faramir intended to bring it to Denethor)

Like wise I'm not big on CaHs either...but that's just my opinion.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry! The forests will fall! A new order will rise...we will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc! We have only to remove those who oppose us...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Do you really think that if Faramir would have taken the ring, he would have taken it to Denethor ? The One Ring can cause people do all kind of wierd stuff :p

#44 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

Usually I swollow like 95% of his ideas by I just feel like this one is way over the top (sorry Sûl). Doing this would not only mean 100% work for Sûl and none for me (that is just way to much work for me), but it would also mean a Final Release in like spring 2009 or something :p

Don't worry about that. We talked about it and agreed very much on what you pointed out. That's why i wrote:

... So, as RingHeroes i would very much like to see (disregarding practicality or other concerns) ...

And regarding the practical solution:

But seriously, it started with the question that MAYBE we should have some alternate Ring Heroes, and now we are discussing more or less a whole make over of the core of this game :p
Like the Ring FX that should be moved to the Hero that weilds the ring, and maybe some effects on that heroes abilities and skins. Stuff like that, maybe.
That would probably mean though, that I want to keep the "middle idea" with "only" new ring heroes, and certainly no CaH - I hate the CaH all together and I wish they didn't exist in the game actually. I like to have units that people recognize from the movies, and if not there, then from the books :D

Definitely! Anyways, i posted my ideas only to illustrate the thinking behind the arguments for/against certain candidates. Also i would like to point out to everyone that the RingHeroes can have really different abilities, not just different weapons!

And Naz, believe me, my workload is big enough. I'm not really looking for more right now, lol!

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#45 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hehe good, cause I hate to see this mod being cancelled cause we half way through loose interest due to the work load vs real life =p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#46 Selek

Selek
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Well, I am saying that there are way too few Dwarven Heroes while Elves have too much heroes. Tom Bombadil was just an example as the ring-hero. I had the idea that the good faction got the ring, so Tom Bombadil somehow realizes the threat of the ring and comes from his lands to fight for the free people of Middle-Earth...

That's just me though. I like the idea of different heroes more than just two.

Edited by Selek, 18 May 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#47 zimoo

zimoo

Ecthelion of the Fountain

• Project Team
  • 2,009 posts
  • Projects:Lurking until the off topic begins...
  •  Guardian of the Books

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

Mmmmm what's the big f'n problem? Elves had several great realms, each with several great lords. Dwarves had 1 realm, ruled over by 1 lord basically. Of course the elves are gonna have more heroes.

No doubt if more dwarven heroes were added there would be complaints about either:

1) All of them being clones of each other (i.e. heavy melee hitters)
2) 'Unrealistic' dwarves with weapons other than axes

I hate to burst your bubble there, but the good faction DID get the ring, they DID basically hand it to Bombadil, and he played a magic trick with it. Some ring hero that would be...

IMO the whole ring-hero system is flawed, unrealistic and boring. yay I can build a super hero...why not just have a giant clickable sutton saying "I win" which destroys everything belonging to your enemy?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Playing games? Ah, you'll never be a good modder if you get involved in actually playing them!

#48 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

Ah, but there is! Well not quite, but those last tier powers are damn close.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#49 Lotrfan2

Lotrfan2

title available

• Banned
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:45 AM

yes they are, the earthquake is very powerful on bases.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 May 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hehe yeah they cause massive damage, as should be, but they dont really win the game for you, even though they seriously cripple the enemy for a while. They should be used along side Siege attacks though :) There is no single button that will win the game, and there wont be :)

I too would like to do something interesting with this whole thing, and the ideas are as many as there are modders and players, but we'll see what Sûl and I can cook up for a later version =p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#51 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:57 PM

Lot of stuff there! :0

#52 Iarwain

Iarwain
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

ThoughI was buying a 'Real Time Strategy' not a 'Rush Time Strategy'. "SEE makes it what it should have been" (I believe that's what you said somwhere), and you did a great job. IV will be excellent I'm sure.
On topic, The Ring cannot be used for good, it's bearer will turn evil.
If I may quote parts of post:

I say let the good factions get the ring simply to stop the enemy getting it.

I have to say that i really dislike the way that EA has implemented the 'find One Ring' - 'bring to fortress' - 'build superhero ME-variant' - mechanism.

IMO the whole ring-hero system is flawed, unrealistic and boring. yay I can build a super hero...

I think EA felt they needed superheros, goes along with the rush feel, for their targeted consumer.

I too would like to do something interesting with this whole thing, and the ideas are as many as there are modders and players, but we'll see what Sûl and I can cook up for a later version =p

These are battles and not the War. Use your heros and armies to win the battle. Make the 'get the ring' difficult with a bonus if achieved.
So somehow Gollum found or stole the Ring.
Gollum cannot be killed by a horde or normal hero. He puts the ring on and escapes.
Certain heros can see him while wearing the ring and capture him.
If Evil Side gets ring they win or get Sauron or a Sauron spell in book
If Good Side gets ring they keep evil from wining or get a high spell, perhaps entire spellbook

#53 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

Lots of sense in that last statment.
Now that I think about it, I say can the whole ring thingy (I can do that in the menu if I want). All it does is create a useless hero, and can be extremely annoying when the other side/AI gets it. When Sauron dies, he kills everyone. How much fun is that? They aren't even that powerful (in the game).

#54 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

Yeah this is a BIG part of the core of this game that we probably will put a lot of work into, after this beta rel, or maybe after the next. Beta V will have the Library system of magic upgrades for all heroes, which is a huge comversion for the game, so this thing might mot make it into the game until after that. It will recuire loads of work once we decide how we want it...

BUt I like the brainstorming. Useful ideas will come out of it =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#55 CapnAstroSponge

CapnAstroSponge

title available

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Projects:Trolling the S.E.E Boards

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Here's my list for Ring Heroes, or who I think should be in:

MotW:Isidulr, basically Aragorn with knockback, and perhaps an ability called "Undead Curse", which works like the convert ability, but instead turns them into Army of the Dead soldiers.
Elves:Stick with Galadriel, makes sense.
Dwarves:Bilbo. :xcahik_: I know it's nuts, but I'm thinking he'd use the Frodo model, a different skin(obviously)As for the abilities, i'm thinking knockback(naturally)The Ring power from the first one, Elven Cloaks, and a very high strengh Assasination ability, which he's able to use with the ring on.
Morder:Sauron, again, makes sense.
Isengard:Uber-Powerful Saurman, does ten fold the damage he used to. Automatically lvld up to 10.
Goblins:Great Goblin, sounds good to me.

I also think the Ring should do more then give you an ultra hero, I think it should probably also affect your army as well. It gives you more resources faster, stronger buildings, higher attack damage for all units, etc. That makes finding the ring much more of an advantage.
Posted Image

Never come between a Capn and his..uh..AstroSponge? No, no...Never come between a CapnAstro and his Sponge! Uh.....this doesn't work as well as the other guys names..

I am..

Posted Image

#56 Bruno62339

Bruno62339
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

I also think the Ring should do more then give you an ultra hero, I think it should probably also affect your army as well. It gives you more resources faster, stronger buildings, higher attack damage for all units, etc. That makes finding the ring much more of an advantage.

i think that's a good idea, but in return the ring should be maybe more difficult to find, or maybe make gollum stronger?
Posted Image
^Signature by Serated

Life sucks, then you die :)

#57 SquallBK

SquallBK

Coder

• Project Team
  • 221 posts
  • Projects:No public projects until I finish a mod, I've learned my lesson
  •  Coder

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:52 PM

I personally think galadriel should be for elves only, motw, and dwarves should have their own individual ring heroes. I'm not that good with tolkien but maybe one of the 7 dwarves who received a ring could be a ring hero for dwarves and I don't know who for motw lol.

I think the same for evil, sauron should only be for mordor.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#58 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 01:21 AM

@SquallBK try inserting your hyperlink into your mod banner...

And I agree with your statment to, to stay on topic, although it has been said before.

EDIT: I looked at your site, and noticed you had incorperated a certain Morgoth as a ring hero into your mod.

Edited by clonecommand, 21 May 2007 - 01:23 AM.

#59 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:02 AM

CapnAstro... that's pretty much in line with my own likeing too, but we'll see when we get there for Beta V :xcahik_:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#60 Servant of Sauron

Servant of Sauron

The right hand of Saruman

• Project Team
  • 258 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:06 AM

If ring heroes are going to get that uber though Gollum will need to flee "better" so to speak.

That said I really like zimoo's giant instant win button idea, it's both original and balanced :xcahik_:

Edited by Servant of Sauron, 21 May 2007 - 05:08 AM.

The old world will burn in the fires of industry! The forests will fall! A new order will rise...we will drive the machine of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Orc! We have only to remove those who oppose us...

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users