Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

We could alwasy remove that from the Berserkers ^
Maybe they would fit with Rage better? =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#222 Guest_Frink_*

Guest_Frink_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Hrum

Anyone here from Scotland? Because all the Dwarf voices, apart from Gimli's, are absolutely terrible. They sound like an American trying to do an impression of an Australian trying to do an impression of an Irishman. PLEASE get rid of those shit Dwarf sounds and get a proper gaelic accent instead of that reedy-voiced whiny cack.

Bilbo as a hero? How about an ability where the Ring is revealed momentarily? Either to Bilbo's side only, or to all sides, I'm not sure yet...

As for the archer/axethrower debate, I'm up for Dwarf archers. Having Human allies doing the work for them (even though that's how it happens in the books) makes the Dwarf army look like a joke, like they can't even do things for themself. Maybe dain archer allies should be limited to one battalion and should be more powerful.

Also I think Dwarf units should look a bit more Nordic. Just my own personal opinion, but I'd prefer them to have round shields and helms with wings or horns on them... and I'm a great fan of Dwarves with longswords.

As for the Royal Guard unit (or whatever it's called, the one where you can only build 4 of them) I like the idea, but the models look a bit small. I think if you just scaled them up slightly, and added some more colour or detail so that they stand out more, they'd be so much better. I'd prefer it if they had bigger weapons, perhaps longswords, mattocks, huge two-handed axes or something, but I appreciate that this is a lot of work. As they are, they look less elite than the standard Dwarf warriors

As for general improvements for the mod:
1. I prefer the original rings you got around battalions, rather than the blobs you put in
2. On some maps in BFME2 (Minas Morgul springs to mind) when you get the formation width arrow selecty thing for when you position troops using both mouse buttons, there was a cool glowing effect on the width arrow. I think this should be there on all maps!
3. I liked the red glowing effect for evil... it makes them look more evil than blue
4. Goblins should be a sneaky army - right now they're like Mordor but with annoying voices. They should use hit-and-run, stealth, stealing resources, assassinations, bursting out from tunnels behind enemy lines, that sort of thing...

#223 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:34 AM

Go back 1000 years, and i'm from Scottland...XD
I really don't mind the dwarf voices. The Axethrowers are the best...considering the guardians sound pretty gay, with the whole flowing beard thing...ehhg...but those kinds of things are touch-up things, not to be implemented until the "core" mod is done, least is my understanding.

a lot of those things require new models, new skins, new anims....which, when it comes to modding, you recycle as much as possible. I like all the dwarf ideas....especially the mattocks, like in the hobbit, but it's a helluva lotta work.

btw, go register!
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#224 Biermann

Biermann
  • New Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hey Naz (or Sûl), is it very hard to do random skins to the dwarven warriors (at least beards)?
Also, I think that round shields would fit more to the dwarves than the normal "roman" like shields for the warriors.

#225 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:13 AM

Random skins is easy, as long as you don't need them to go Heavy Armor. That's when the codes don't work anymore unless you make a gazilliion child objects, and that just sucks. I have random skins for most units that do not use HA cause as soon as it's HA you can only use 1 skin for all (without the great work load mentioned).

In the Internal beta I gave several skins to Elven Units and it looks great, but when they go HA they all change into the same skin. Not funny :(

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#226 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Romen shilds(sp) fit the dwarves because they are all about defense, high armor,and slowness :p

Edited by That Best Guest, 24 July 2007 - 01:22 PM.

mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#227 frinkmakesyouthink

frinkmakesyouthink
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

Well Norse shields fit because Dwarves are from Norse mythology.

#228 Biermann

Biermann
  • New Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

This is my point too. But this game and this mod aren't based in norse mithology. I agree with the idea that they are all about defense, but I think that the round shields would be more "dwarvish". But the formation of the dwarven warriors, with the roman like shield formation is a very good sight. Shows an idea of the Dwarven discipline. I think that a good adittion would be a shield wall formation, like the one in the MotW infantry. THis would fit the warriors because they are a bit of lesser siege unit, so a shield formation, with the ones from the behind lines putting their shields over the heads to protect from rocks and arrows. Just like the roman "turtle" formation. This would be an idea if you decide to keep the square shields.

About the axetrowers, i was thinking about give them a Xbow, or mabye a bow, and then they could switch to the axes to fight meele, transforming them in a ranger like unit. So they would be a basic infantry and basic range. Mabye with an attack power in meele close to the miner's one.

#229 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  •  Varied

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

mentioning the turtle formation the uruk-hai in the two towers used it to protect a ram could we use it maybe to that extent
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#230 Strider

Strider
  • Members
  • 190 posts
  •  Helpful Wanderer

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I think we should have Dwarf Archers(Cross bow or regular) that can use Axe throw as a power like Black Arrow. Dale Archers can be the elite Archers for the Faction.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#231 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

i have a suggestion, and it is everyone stop suggestion the god damn exact same fucking thing someone suggested a few posts before them.
Posted Image

#232 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Yeah. It would be kind of nice if posts on previous pages were actually read before posting redundance. I think it would reduce the traffic in the forums by at least half. And it would be easier to read past entries as well. Hehe. :p

Reading more helps to reduce the amount of text that needs to be read to keep up to date. Now if that isn't funny! :huh:

I know, it always seems as if the one doing the back-reading is the only one doing it. But that's really not true. Give it a try, ya'll! :sad2:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#233 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

The dwearven engineer...a tribute to hacking. Sure, no computer hacking here, but a single dwarf, called the engineer, would make a fine addition to the dwarves. the Engineer is stealthed, though limitedly. It is only armed with a shovel, but is a great weapon. The dwarven engineer hyjacks an enemy building. not only does this disable the building, but it lkinks that building to the dwarves tunnel network. This dwarf is relatively fast, though you could only have like 3 at a time. Run it up inside the enemy base, grab a resource structure, and boom....your army has access to the enemy base at will. The down side is that it won't take long for the enemy to realise that they have a hacked building, and will immediately destroy it if they know what's best for em. You can only have 3 hacked buildings at a time.

Sound good? Actually possible?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#234 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  •  Varied

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

sounds good yes :p
possible i have no idea :huh:
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#235 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:29 PM

The dwearven engineer...a tribute to hacking. Sure, no computer hacking here, but a single dwarf, called the engineer, would make a fine addition to the dwarves. the Engineer is stealthed, though limitedly. It is only armed with a shovel, but is a great weapon. The dwarven engineer hyjacks an enemy building. not only does this disable the building, but it lkinks that building to the dwarves tunnel network. This dwarf is relatively fast, though you could only have like 3 at a time. Run it up inside the enemy base, grab a resource structure, and boom....your army has access to the enemy base at will. The down side is that it won't take long for the enemy to realise that they have a hacked building, and will immediately destroy it if they know what's best for em. You can only have 3 hacked buildings at a time.

Sound good? Actually possible?

Was it possible in CnC Generals? If so, the codes may still be there. There are quite a few remnants of CnC in BfMe2.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#236 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

IDK...but perhaps apply an inn property to all resource structures, allowing them to be captured by the engineer...almost like adding an invisible flag. you'd just ahve to make sure it didn't work both ways.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#237 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

@Adummy: I agree, and you basically spoke what I dare not :sad2: Everyone should learn to:
- Read all posts in the thread that have been posted since you last posted in the thread.
That way I won't have to read things 4-5 times when scanning threads for things to put on ToDo List. :huh:

We are also approaching a new era after Beta 4.5 when I/we will finally decide what all factions should look like. This has to be done in order to have a clear goal and focus, since we can't go of forerver modding and changing stuff in all eternity. We need to decide on things and we already have A LOT of stuff to choose from. So don't stopp suggesting by all means, but expect a radical "halt" a couple of weeks after Beta 4.5 (late summer), for these reasons... :p

@GN; that sounds very Al-Quad-ish... =p
But I will ad miners as early game units though... as mentioned before, but they will probably mostly be like peasants, but for Dwarves (stronger though)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#238 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

Well, it didn't necessarily have to be THAT model....jest a suggestion for a dwarven specialty unit. I think Specialty units, for ALL factions, would benifit in not only the diversity, but the late-game options for all factions.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#239 Biermann

Biermann
  • New Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:11 AM

This is my point too. But this game and this mod aren't based in norse mithology. I agree with the idea that they are all about defense, but I think that the round shields would be more "dwarvish". But the formation of the dwarven warriors, with the roman like shield formation is a very good sight. Shows an idea of the Dwarven discipline. I think that a good adittion would be a shield wall formation, like the one in the MotW infantry. THis would fit the warriors because they are a bit of lesser siege unit, so a shield formation, with the ones from the behind lines putting their shields over the heads to protect from rocks and arrows. Just like the roman "turtle" formation. This would be an idea if you decide to keep the square shields.

About the axetrowers, i was thinking about give them a Xbow, or mabye a bow, and then they could switch to the axes to fight meele, transforming them in a ranger like unit. So they would be a basic infantry and basic range. Mabye with an attack power in meele close to the miner's one.

About the shield wall formation idea, since the dwarves are focused on defense and are exelent with siege, what about an "equipable" battlering ram, that could be protected with this shield formation just like the uruk hai did in the movies (the two towers)?

#240 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  •  Varied

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

i already posed that :)
mrbar.jpg