Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,758 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

Actually, I think TDP designed it as a thrush, seeing as they were a Dale symbol.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#442 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

G'day Thorongil45

I could be completely wrong here but from what I can recall ( can't find my copy of the hobbit anywhere, doh! ) The ravens of ravenhill to which you refer to where just friends of the dwarves. They actually didn't like men. I'm fairly sure it was a thrush that spoke to brand in the hobbit but that thrush only spoke to brand because one of the last ravens of ravenhill ( who spoke with the dwarves ) told that thrush to speak with him. Might be wrong but when I find my copy of the hobbit I'll check it out :rolleyes:
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#443 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

To tack onto the above post, the reason Bard was able to understand the thrush was because the nobility of Dale - before its' downfall - were able to understand the "speach of birds". Bard himself, was a descendant of Girion, the former Lord of Dale. By some inate ability not disclosed to the reader, this trait was passed on to Bard.
At least I think that's it, lol..
Cheers,
-mike

#444 Thorongil45

Thorongil45
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

you're right, tt. it was the thrush. ravens for dwarves, thrushes for dale.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#445 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

I'm right! Good to know my mind hasn't lost the plot completely then :D Still can't find that damn book. Doh!

G'day elfhelm

That's an interesting bit of info about bard and his family tree. Thanks :rolleyes:
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#446 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

*marker*
(Up until here - this thread has now been checked for useful items to put into the ToDo List!) :)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#447 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:11 PM

G'day to all

Sorry nazgul, I just thought of something else. But not to worry it's probably a stupid idea. It involves another power for king brand and his little bird friend. The dwarven faction dosn't really have any de-shrouding abilities and I thought giving the king brand the ability to send out his bird to anywhere on the map to see what it could see and then return to king brand might be a nice touch to this hero. The bird might need it's own range of view though. I thought this idea might be liked by the book fans as it was the bird which were able to tell him of impending trouble or conveying messages. Just a thought.

And again welcome back Nazgul :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by ttandchotmail, 28 March 2008 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#448 Troll Ranger

Troll Ranger
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  •  BFMEII SEE Fan

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Bit off topic, maybe in the wrong thread but...why do some of the dwarves have whack-a-mole mallets? You'd think they'd tot around something with a little more...substance.

SEE_zps20127a0f.jpg
SEE-Mod_PlayerFan.jpg

#449 zachdaddy_3000

zachdaddy_3000

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

• Project Team
  • 580 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's BFMEII: Special Extended Edition

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

You can thank EA for that.
Do not come between a Zach and his........Zach?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#450 spiderspag

spiderspag
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

I noticed that you didn't have too many heroes for the Dwarves... how about Grimbeorn, son of Beorn, the shapeshifter from the Hobbit who could change from man to bear? You already have a bear model in game, you'd just have to 'snaz' it up a bit! Here's a concept of what he was going to look like in the movie : Posted Image

Suggested powers- (can stealth in trees when in human form, can only heal in human form)
Level 1: Friends of the Forest (Allows Grimbeorn to see in sight radius of all wild animals)
Level 4: Transform- Transform (Grimbeorn transforms into his ferocious bear form)
Level 10: Summon Beornings- Summons a horde of powerful Bears for a limited time.

Also, you seem to have flying units for most other sides- did you give the Dwarves some Eagles as well? I'll remind you that following the events of the Hobbit, the Dwarves became close allies with Gwaihir.

As such, I suggest that you get rid of the Dwarven "summon hobbits" power, as Bilbo is already with them and the other hobbits are way off in the Shire, and replace it with the Summon Mineshaft power, and replace that power with the Summon Eagles power.

Alternativley, you could just make the Dwarves kickass vs. flying units, especially Dragons. I reccommend giving Brand a "Dragon-slayer" power which is basically an arrow that instakills flying units, similar to Istari Light or Saruman's Fireball.

Edited by spiderspag, 26 May 2008 - 08:44 AM.

#451 Aragorn King Elessar

Aragorn King Elessar
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

:dry:

Hi every one This will be my first post on these forums, I have a couple things for the dwarves id like to input having just read 23 pages :s haha

---in terms of the battle wagon "Naz" mentioned wanting to scrap the beast which is logical, instead of adding poneys what about a Clydesdale horse , I'm not sure if such breeds of horses ever existed in middle earth but they could certainly pull a wagon :grin:
(picture of some below)

Clydesdale horses

--also what about the possibility of adding Dwarf Vault Wardens as seen here Dwarf Vault Wardens

Rohvanian Alliance has these type of units in the august 5th addition to sneak peek section of there site
Direct link to unit render
Rohvanian sneak peek section

these units could be the elite anti calvary/defense units possibly limited to only a few units , also due to the large shield possibly make them take less damage from arrows?

-this idea doesn't really focus on Dwarves more so every faction with decent walls , also bear in mind i haven't read all of the suggestions for all the other factions yet, but will you ever bring back walls in which units and arches can walk on , this would also add a more enjoyable concept to siege latter's...ect
Posted Image

#452 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

Mapper,Begginer Modeler and Animator

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Projects:World Builder Battle Of the Crater Map BFME2

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:05 AM

in the dwarf vault wardens,i also saw an iron guard.they would look Sweet in S.E.E.
What is the motherland,when you know you weren't born of land?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#453 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:14 AM

Might be a cool concept, sure, but I don't think I wanna use it...
1) RA doesn't like when ppl copy "their" ideas :shiftee2:
2) We don't really need more units with Dwarves

What we will do for this faction is:
- Dwarven Crossbows to "replace" axethrowers, which instead will be a very strong elite ranged unit
- Put a cart as a BC for Axethrowers (more logical and realistic as it can carry axes)
- Add more heroes such as:
* Thorin
* Balin (or equaliant like Dwalin)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#454 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:23 AM

Thorin II,or Thorin Oakenshield?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#455 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 16 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

the alive one during the lotr series though I don't know which it was.
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#456 SovietSoldier

SovietSoldier

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:42 PM

Then it is Thorin III Stonehelm.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#457 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Yes :shiftee2:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#458 Aragorn King Elessar

Aragorn King Elessar
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

Might be a cool concept, sure, but I don't think I wanna use it...
1) RA doesn't like when ppl copy "their" ideas ;)
2) We don't really need more units with Dwarves

- Dwarven Crossbows to "replace" axethrowers, which instead will be a very strong elite ranged unit
- Put a cart as a BC for Axethrowers (more logical and realistic as it can carry axes)
* Thorin

Sounds good :thumbsupsmiley:
Posted Image

#459 Guest_Arthadan_*

Guest_Arthadan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

* Thorin

Please no crossbows! I'll give you my reasons:

- They don't appear in any Tolkien book and in the movies only the "industrial/tecnologically advanced" army of Isengard has them.
- They have less shooting speed than a bow and less range (to recharge them, you have to do this:)
Posted Image
- They have better armour penetration, but usual enemies for Dwarves are Orcs who are not specially known for having heavy armours.

So, why choose a slow weapon with a potence you don't need? I proppose instead a compossed bow like this:

Posted Image

It has the same range and penetration power as a long one, but it's shorter. Historically it was used by mounted archers as the huns or the mongols, but it would be handy for Dwarves!

#460 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Well it's also a question of Modeling... I had a crossbow dwarf model but I have no bow dwarf model, and no I won't model it myself :thumbsupsmiley:
If someone came up with a bow model for them, we'd use it... My current in team modelers are swamped with other things, so I doubt they have time for this one... =/ But we'll see...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users