•  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

I think it's only auto resolve...

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#1082 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

Maybe I've just been stupid enough to win a real time battle without reviving my hero first ;)
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#1083 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Add any suggestions and/or bugs for Arnor in here. I want to seperate the factions for discussion.

ToDo:
- Big item - Redo and make Arnor more unique in terms of structures, walls, upgrades, etc.
- Redo the elves with unique models.

Bugs:
- Ensure that the Arnor bases uses the Arnor fortress instead of the Men

Hi there,

haven't played that Mod or RotWK for at least a year now. But it's still much fun. :p
The faction I like most, and did play from the very beginning of this mod is ARNOR. Maybe someone already told this to you guys, but there still are some bugs within the Arnor faction that bother. Here they are:

Arnor-Castle - Only one Castle is buildable with the Istari-Extension. Actually a good idea, but the other castles don't have the armor then and this way are much weaker than a Gondor castle... Why?

Arnor-Castle/ whole Arnor-Faction: Why does Arnor not have the "Numenor-Stonework"-Upgrade? I mean, they are much more Dunedaín than Gondor is...

Arnor-Tower (within a wall): No Fire-Arrows - Why? ;)

Arnor-Arrows: All Archers - no matter if general archers, Dunedain or mounted Dunedain - are much stronger as long as one keeps playing without the fire-Upgrade. As soon as one equips them with it, there getting weeker and don't seem to have much effect on enemy infantry (besides Goblins) - In Gondor-Faction it works pretty well, especially with the Citadel-Guard. :cool2:

Hero-Statue: Somehow it does not work - Unit within range are as weak as usual, also they don't gain faster experience :p

Arnor-Smithy: On some Ice-Worlds - like "High-Pass", "Forochel", etc. The Smithy you can build is by picture the Arnor-Smithy, but by building the Gondor one.

General: I think it's nice to have some Elven-Units as reinforcements, I like the idea. But they are too strong! If I do build some towers, filled with upgraded Elven-Archers - my base is nearly unconquerable. I mean - the main, and most powerful faction within Arnor should be the Dunedaín, shouldn't they? :blink:

Arnor-Captains: The Elven-Captain is upgrading himself, but his arrows doesn't seem to have any effects on the enemy... The Dunedain-Captain does not upgrade himself (or at least it's not working yet) but his Weapon (Sword and Bow) are as strong as they should be. Suggestion: Why don't you make just one Captain? And beeing close to the books, I think it should be the Dunedain-Captain.

Arnor: I do miss Glorfindel... :thumbsdownsmiley:

Some last words: Anyway - as I said before in "MeVault" - Keep on working with your excellent job. Your Mod is the best one all around. And it keeps getting better. Dunno what to expect if you will, one day, finish it - but I'd buy it for money. It's the way BfME ever should have been. Keep on boys, really cool :cool2:
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like - and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve! (Bilbo Beutlin)
Posted Image

#1084 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Most of those are just because the mod isn't complete yet, and bugs we're working on fixing. So yeah, we're working on it :thumbsdownsmiley:

But if you want the bigger challenge, try playing a brutal. Sometimes units just seem overpowered because the enemy isn't too smart about fighting you. Lots of units can seem overpowered slaughtering tons of orcs :p Elves are very hard to get until the mid game, and some long range siege will take down towers easily.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#1085 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

But if you want the bigger challenge, try playing a brutal. Sometimes units just seem overpowered because the enemy isn't too smart about fighting you...

Hi Yoda,

thanks for answering. The problem is: I actually only play versus brutal enemies. Most times it is on a +6 player-map (like "South Anduin") where i do play 1(me as Arnor) vs. 1 (mostly Gondor or Isengart) vs. Mordor/Angmar/Goblins/Mordor (as a team)...
But still - I do win the fights because of my Elven archers and Rivendell warriors :p
Guess it would be at least a bit more fun if the elven units won't be that strong, but therefore the Dunedain Rangers ("hardened men ...as strong as ten soldiers" JRR Tolkin) ...

Also got some suggestions:
Is it actually necessary to use the Gondorian heroic statue for Arnor? If I do remember right, then there is a pretty good statue at the Main-Entry of Fornost. Can't you use that one?

I think it'll be great if Arnor also could get some Spearmen, combinable with archers or Dunedain Rangers. I mean - Gondor has two kinds of "Spearmen"...
Therefor you could remove those elven-spearmen. The kind of Arnor-Spearmen I could imagine for Arnor you'll find within the "Numenor-Mod" (@ MeVault)

A BIG BUG within the Mod is: If one set for a skirmish vs computer, the computer never combines his units... This way it's much easier to defeat him. Could you fix that? :thumbsdownsmiley:

Thanks again

Edited by Thrândoér, 24 January 2009 - 10:18 PM.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like - and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve! (Bilbo Beutlin)
Posted Image

#1086 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Arnor is a very WIP faction.

#1087 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  •  Amateur Writer, Veteran Gamer

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:13 AM

Okay, I was thinking about the Dunedain.... I wonder if a new unit should be added for them, something almost like a beserker - without, of course, the angry, inarticulate grunts and growls! :p I mean a very powerful single unit, possibly that deals radius damage, similar to Aragorn. They could be called something like a "Dunedain Warrior" or "Dunedain Master\Swordmaster," and would be geared more towards melee combat. And, either in addition to or instead of this plan, possibly add a toggle weapons to the rangers themselves?

Who knows, maybe they could toggle between melee and ranged combat, sword and spear, mount and dismount! Okay, that's probably going a bit too far.... ;) It would be nice, though, even if impractical!

#1088 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:18 AM

If the Dunedain Captain was like that... wait, maybe he is. :p The Imladris Captain is like that, I know for sure. ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#1089 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

I suddenly had the idea that the arnor stand-alone towers should be able to upgrade to have a ballista on top, rather than some effects upgrade to their attack. Don't ask me where the idea came from, or even it's canon credibility, but given Arnor's enemies and the type of kingdom it was, it seems to me at least to make sense. Thoughts?

#1090 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

A ballista upgrade would be cool, but it would involve a fair bit of work, and wouldn't be that insanely canon...
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#1091 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

The tower would need to be a lot wider.

#1092 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

And the Dwarves would be better suited for tower upgrades.
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1093 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

And the Dwarves would be better suited for tower upgrades.

I think the idea of a stationary catapult for the dwarves has already been discussed...somewhere, though i can't remember what it got resolved as. Personally I hate the majority of the Dwarven faction's structures, but i'll save that argument for another time. Suffice it to say that, realistically, I think the dwarves' towers should be more watch towers than perimeter defences. A mounted ballista on a tower seems like a waste of resources for a race that lives primarily underground.

Though it's not really all that insane an idea. I mean, it was a done thing in our own history, it's an excellent anti-infantry defence - which realistically is what the battle tower needs to be able to do, given that Arnor's enemies are primarily low quality infantry - and I suppose it sets a slight relation between Arnor and Gondor in that you see the idea of ballista towers being carried over into the trebuchet towers of Minar Tirith in the Third Age.

#1094 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

The biggest problem with the dwarves is that you are really underground. They would only have weak temporary buildings on top of the ground. Nearly all your force would underground.

#1095 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

The biggest problem with the dwarves is that you are really underground. They would only have weak temporary buildings on top of the ground. Nearly all your force would underground.

Thank you!

#1096 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

But we can't do this in-game.

#1097 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:14 AM

At least we'll soon have some better skins :lol:
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1098 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

Hey there,

just a few more words about Arnor:

• Why are Elven-units so much stronger than the Dunedain? - By book, the Dunedain (soldiers, rangers, etc) were the most powerful race in warfare... (that's why Sauron hated them) Gondor units for example are stronger than elven ones
• Elven Captain does not seem to make any damage on enemies - neither by melee nor by bow
• Hero Elrond: Does he actually have any specific damage to enemies besides his superpowers?? Last time I had a skirmish he got beaten by a bunch of Mordor-Archers without knocking them out...
• Same with Arnor-King "Arveleg" (<- the one who throws the Palantir). Besides his superpowers he seems to be really weak in causing damage. Arvedui therefor is good.
• Argeleb (the cheapest Arnor-King): with his ability "rage" he also does not seem to get more damage than without :p
• Argeleb additional idea: How about giving him the possibility to call for reinforcements (the way a Gondor CaH can do)? Maybe from Level six onward
• Fire Arrows by now are annoying - weaker than general arrows and far weaker than their elven counterparts (silverthorn) - so why should I use (as Arnor) Dunedaín?? useless :p
Posted Image

#1099 Argeleb

Argeleb

title available

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

I disagree. Elves in Mithlond,(Lindon) and Rivendell were noldor, who were best warriors in ME

Elrond was very skilled warrior and he(again) was noldor.

I personally hate reinforcements powers and Argeleb is early game hero, which doesn't need so many powers
Fan of mods:
RJ-ROWTK, Massive Middle-earth, Elven Alliance,
Battles of Narnia, Lone Wolf, Rhovanion Alliance,
Age of the Firstborn, The Fourth Age, Battles of Gondor,
Note: Mods are not "how much I like them" order
Argeleb Posted Image

#1100 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

I disagree. Elves in Mithlond,(Lindon) and Rivendell were noldor, who were best warriors in ME

You're right - the Noldor were the "best" (meaning highest developed and with the best skills), but not the strongest.
As Tolkien wrote - in Beginning and the Middle of the Second Age, during the first fall of darkness - nearly all elves (at this time Noldor) were killed or hunted down by sauron. Only the arrival of a Numenor (Dunedain) Fleet with their amazing strength spared them.
Also - in third age (which is where the game is set) there were only a few Noldor left in ME. And therefore the elven faction does have the Mini-Heros "Noldor-Warriors"...
So I still do think that the elven-faction within Arnor ist too strong :p

Anyways - Does anyone know how to get this cool "RJ Fan/Player"-banner?
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users