#1261 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

I can tell you from physics that a steelbow would be un-humanly powerful. Steel returns to it's shape very fast, so it would impart a huge velocity on the arrow. There is no-way a wood bow could match it. The only problem is that no human on this earth could wield such a weapon. But Tolkien said that they did so they did. We are then left with the conclusion that they would be insanely powerful. A bow like that would mostly likely have a range of around 500+ yards. I don't know where you are getting your numbers but those are max ranges for a large yew longbow fired at 45 degrees. Only it would wildly inaccurate.

#1262 Lord of Mordor

Lord of Mordor

Master of the One Ring

• Project Team
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

I still think that, for Gameplay's sake, no men faction should have the game's most powerful archers. They can be powerful, or have unique abilities, but an elven archer for the same price should always be better.

Build me an army worthy of Mordor!

HobbitBann5501.png

#1263 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

What about gameplay makes it bad?

#1264 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

You could always give the steel bow to giants or trolls to make something that powerful accurate. :good:
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#1265 *Ranger*

*Ranger*
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

But Anorians had Numenorian blood, the were stronger than the now Gondorian man, like the Noldor. They should be a heck of alot better than what they are now. I agree that the Elves (if they were from the same time) should have better archers, but the Elves (like Gondor) had lost alot of their strength since the first age. I know the time-line mucks it up, but personally i think Anor should have the stronger Archers, at least with the steel bow.

Edited by *Ranger*, 20 March 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#1266 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

A man of Numenor would be able to match an Elve for strength. The power of the elves was in there spirit and mind, not hands and arms.

#1267 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Soooooooo.... Make it a tie for the strongest Archers. :good:
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#1268 Lord of Mordor

Lord of Mordor

Master of the One Ring

• Project Team
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

A man of Numenor would be able to match an Elve for strength. The power of the elves was in there spirit and mind, not hands and arms.

But can they also match them in focus, aim and training? Elves can train with their bows longer than a Numenorean even lives, and archery is supposed to be the strength of the Elves. I wouldn't take that away from them by making another faction better at it. It just doesn't feel right to me, even if it could logically be explained.

I'm all for Steelbows, I think they're an extremely cool weapon, but if the choice is between making them the best ranged unit there is or leaving them out entirely, I'd leave them out. The elite archers of Lorien and Mirkwood should be better than those of Arnor.

Edited by Lord of Mordor, 20 March 2009 - 08:30 PM.

Build me an army worthy of Mordor!

HobbitBann5501.png

#1269 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Key word- accuracy
The elves are king of archery because they've got the silverthorn arrows (love 'em ;) ), great range, stealth, and-if I'm not mistaken- the most accurate in the game.
The arnor units will just have the massive power and extreme range without accuracy. I say making the accuracy similar to that of the orcs and goblins.

So yeah, I'm all for adding the steel bow unit.

Edited by Wanderer∞, 20 March 2009 - 11:42 PM.

Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#1270 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

You pretty much got it there. They just rain death from a far. The can't match the Elves for precision but they don't try to. The make it rain arrows. They are very few in number as well. Only the most pure blooded numenorean can wield such a bow. It doesn't make Arnor into a strong archer faction. I would want to replace the Dunidain knights with these guys. I mean the Dunidain knight are just a Dol Amroth clone from Gondor

#1271 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:47 AM

Personally I think Arnor needs a big revamp. Ironing out the details, reassembling the current faction etc. It's great as it is but I feel if we go back and redefine, make it more coherent, remove inconsistencies etc it'll be off the charts awesome.

#1272 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

Agreed, as far as steel bows, I like idea of an elite unit wielding it, but what about using it as an upgrade? Maybe have the unit require an upgrade to use it, and perhaps have them do meta impact damage somehow?

#1273 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

I would like to keep the knights in there, but it does need a revamp.
I don't think the bow needs meta impact though, that kinda makes them like the elves. Fire arrows , if anything. I see the bows as great damage, long range, bad accuracy, and slow reload time.
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#1274 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

Those bow stats work for me. ;) Should the bowmen get heavy armor though, or would that be too much a hinderance?

#1275 Guest_Danny24_*

Guest_Danny24_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

i think u should widen the whole of CaH, for example more powers and more classes

#1276 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Umm CAH is most likely going to get nixed. Plus that was way off topic.

I think that they should have some Heavy Armor. They would have been the toughest members of the Arnorian force.

#1277 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  Learned student and studier of lore

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I agree with the guy who said the elite unit should definitely be something Numenorean. Maybe Numenorean Swordsmaster or something like that, perhaps? But I've noticed people talking a lot about these steel bowmen...I don't think any faction of Men or Orcs should get an elite Archer unit. Not even the Elves have that (since the Elven elite units can switch weapons I don't put them at elite archer unit because they're not only archery), and they were amazing with the bow - thats the Elves thing. If nothing else, make it so that you can switch weapons.

Edited by Lord_Faramir, 21 March 2009 - 04:34 PM.

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#1278 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Then have them be able to toggle weapon. I'm cool with that.

Going off of what to do with Angmar's inn faction, shouldn't Arnor's be changed to Gondor instead of peasants?
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#1279 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  Learned student and studier of lore

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

A Gondor inn faction would be epic, for Arnor. Earnur could be the recruitable hero, but that would require, literally, an entire hero made just for the inn faction of Gondor for Arnor. Is that not a good bit of work?

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#1280 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Earnur would fit fine as an inn hero imo. I do think it would be some work, not to mention making a Gondor inn faction at that time for Arnor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users