Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

...Why don't you make the Sauron powerful while your at it Dojob? :p
Or, you could limit the number of Hobbits, thus making it somewhat true to lore, Hobbits stay, and they can be used on all maps. Simple, no? :)
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#1602 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

:mellow: Oops we made Dojob angry (I think) I don't mind whether hobbits stay or go but I want some Arnor Pikemen (Basic pikes) That aren't hobbits so that they can keep up with my other soldiers :xd:

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#1603 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I was just making sure I got my point across :mellow:

Ringy, I think it'll be enough to just limit the number of houses and not the Hobbits themselves, so that way people can choose what they put in their armies but you won't be spamming them anymore.
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1604 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

i agree with dojob except i dont think requiring an alliance upgrade in order to get them is the right thing to do. it would make them less spammable, but it would also make them more of a mid-game unit, which defeats their purpose as weak, cheap units. the only way this would really work is if they were given stealth (makes sense with the lore as they could be stealthier than elves when they wished) or made stronger.
hobbit houses should definitely be made more expensive though.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1605 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

Well Arnor needs something in there Inn besides hobbits :xd:

Realistically, as Arnor already has an allies system in their techtree without the inn, there's a bit of an issue as to what to do to replace it.

Maybe we could have Gondor as an inn ally, but instead of having other factions which realistically probably won't fit too well with Arnor's seperate timeline structure, you can instead choose to 'strengthen the ties', so to speak, with either the Elves, Dunedain Rangers, or the Istari, and each would have their own specific benefits - unlocking extra researches at the inn, maybe, or giving a global buff to units that fall under that type. Maybe even unlocking an additional elite unit for that faction - Noldor Warrior style Elves that are weaker an in a larger and combinable horde, maybe for the Elves, a King's Guard type unit for the Dunedain, and maybe a captain style unit with battle-altering buff auras for the Istari?

Keep in mind I really haven't thought this through. I just get ideas and post them.

Already posted this somewhere else, but I thought i'd throw it in here, mainly because these stickies tend to actually get read.

#1606 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

If Hobbits are to remain, then they must look like soldiers, like they honestly mean to protect the Shire. They should at least have some from of true weoponry, like handaxes, short swords, some of them have bows, mabye a leather tunic for armour.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#1607 Eärendur

Eärendur

The last High-King of Arnor.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

If Hobbits are to remain, then they must look like soldiers, like they honestly mean to protect the Shire. They should at least have some from of true weoponry, like handaxes, short swords, some of them have bows, mabye a leather tunic for armour.

Here are the new Hobbit units that I think Arnor should have if Hobbits are going to stay in the Faction:

Hobbit Archers:
Archer unit, equipped with bows. Low damage, armor and cost, long build-time. Can receive the 'Banner Carrier' upgrade (upgrades horde to level 2, and adds an Arnor Archer banner carrier to horde). Can stealth when not moving at lv.3.

Hobbit Shirriffs:
Swordsman unit, has small shields and shortswords. Low damage, armor and cost, long build-time. Have the 'Rock Throw' ability (works like the Dwarven Guardians/Zealots 'Axe Throw'). Can receive the 'Forged Blades' upgrade and the 'Banner Carrier' upgrade (upgrades horde to level 2, and adds an Arnor Soldier banner carrier to horde). Can stealth when not moving at lv.3.

And both Hobbit units should receive reskins to look more like they went to war, not war came to them and they just picked up sharp farm tools to defend their homes with.

i agree with dojob except i dont think requiring an alliance upgrade in order to get them is the right thing to do. it would make them less spammable, but it would also make them more of a mid-game unit, which defeats their purpose as weak, cheap units. the only way this would really work is if they were given stealth (makes sense with the lore as they could be stealthier than elves when they wished) or made stronger.
hobbit houses should definitely be made more expensive though.

I totally agree. I think that Hobbit Houses should cost more and be restricted to 3 or 4 Houses total. As for the whole alliance issue, how about if once you build a Hobbit House, you have to buy an alliance-type upgrade in order to train Hobbits at that particular House. So if you want to train Hobbit Shirriffs or Archers at a Hobbit House, you first have to buy the 'Hobbit Sovereignty' upgrade/alliance (which could cost between 250 to 500 Resources) at that Hobbit House. And you would have to repeat that process at every one of your Hobbit Houses.

Edited by Eärendur, 11 May 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1608 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

I'd rather just keep the current pitchforks and sherrifs, but like u said make them look more prepared and replace the sheriffs' sticks with knives/axes/etc and their rocks with bows. And ofc, they should get stealth in one form or another and some slight buffs and a price increase and whatever other changes are needed to balance them out.

I'd assume a Hobbit alliance would be fairly cheap, at about 300 resources, so you could still use them fairly early on and with the limits and/or price increases on Hobbit houses and the price increases on Hobbits, you just wouldn't be spamming them anymore.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1609 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

they should not have a long build-time, not ridiculously short either, but it cant be long otherwise there will be no reason to use them.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1610 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

Agreed on the hobbit build time, I'm not sure on Hobbit Sheriffs having shields though, just swords. The Hobbit pitchforks look a bit peculiar in their animations, they appear to have the Dwarven Phalanx anims, you don't normally carry your pitchfork that high above your head, more rather in one hand, then brace it with the other as you start stabbing.

Also to help Arnor a bit, and to make Hobbit presence in the faction more useful, they hobbits could have a unit that heals injured battalions, but can only heal one battalion at a time.

Posted Image

#1611 Anri1

Anri1
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

I may have posted this somewhere so sorry if its a double post:
Would be nice if there would be Arnor knights simular to Gondor knights, basic cavalery.
"Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails…. When we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down. But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth I bid you stand, Men of the West!"-King Ellessar

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://us.mnzeo.2y.n...wimoovevio.html - that's fun ;)

#1612 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

Purpose of Hobbits for an Arnor player: the pikes are fast building and cheap units to repell cavarly raids while the hobbit shiriff summons hobbit militia or bowmen to support your army. Almost useless on their own unless in small number; however the good ranged damage of the archers is good if you can protect them while the Militia becomes useful when you close in and attack buildings or siege.
I agree that Arnor Knights should be basic cavalry, although more expensive and slightly stronger than those of Gondor and only available after a Dunedain allegiance. They can be upgraded with Blood of the North, which improves their health and trample.
NOT these ridiculous OP knights we have.

#1613 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

Swords in these parts are mostly blunt, and axes are used for trees, and shields as cradles or dish-covers.

Strike one against armed hobbits.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#1614 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

Purpose of Hobbits for an Arnor player: the pikes are fast building and cheap units to repell cavarly raids while the hobbit shiriff summons hobbit militia or bowmen to support your army. Almost useless on their own unless in small number; however the good ranged damage of the archers is good if you can protect them while the Militia becomes useful when you close in and attack buildings or siege.
I agree that Arnor Knights should be basic cavalry, although more expensive and slightly stronger than those of Gondor and only available after a Dunedain allegiance. They can be upgraded with Blood of the North, which improves their health and trample.

Good ideas, but again I don't see any need for more cav when u already have the elf 1s
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1615 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

Good ideas, but again I don't see any need for more cav when u already have the elf 1s

Canon... I don't think the Arnor army was completly devoid of horsemen.
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#1616 *Ranger*

*Ranger*
  • Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

Neither do i. But i think Anor shouldn't have cavalry because:

Early Anor would have had a massive army, state of the art Armour, fress men, lots of reasources, food ect. But during their war with Angmar they were slowly worn down, constantly seiged and attacked. With that happening on a regular occasion, Anor wouldn't want to spend precious resources feeding and maintaining horses, so they would have kept the higher quality horses for the military captains and kings, then killed or let loose the other horses.

That being the case, is in game Anor at the late stage of the war with Angmar, or the early stage? I would personally want it to be the early stage because you would get the real Dunedin armies, but its most likely late war Anor.

#1617 Dunedain Lord

Dunedain Lord
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Projects:beating Yoda

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

arnor can be pretty screwed against rohan/elite cavalry
IMO, hobbits do need a little long build time. 25 build cost for the frekn hobbit house? BS
"Now, men of Arnor. Let us restore the glory of the Dunedain! To battle, and victory!" King Argeleb

#1618 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

I thought that you were complaining about how weak hobbits were, and now you're against something that could actually give them use? ;)
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#1619 Lord Aragorn

Lord Aragorn
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

arnor already have cavalery:rivendell riders and mounted rangers but it needs an own type of cavalery and also a mounted hero;give argeleb mount ability because he has weak special powers or give this ability to any hero of arnor;and for cavalery it shouldn't be a good idea to name them arnor knights because it should be like gondor;their name should be riders of the north or dunedain riders
Pay attention,scum!

#1620 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:44 AM

Swords in these parts are mostly blunt, and axes are used for trees, and shields as cradles or dish-covers.

Strike one against armed hobbits.

That's your defence for stupid stick-wielding jokes, I didn't say the hobbits made the swords themselves, the Men of Arnor did, they seemed to have a decent supply of short swords and daggers that were too small for men to wield as decent swords, but they were perfect for Hobbit sized warriors, take Meryy and Pippin's sword for instance.

I do however agree that Arnor could use a different force of cavalry. To make them unique, they could have slow speed, but excellent Armour and trample damage, but their weapon damage is pretty lousy because they have shields, and their slow speed makes it difficult for them to out manuver pikemen

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users