Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

They'll probably become the MMH :shiftee2:

#1582 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

They'll probably become the MMH :shiftee2:

Yeah, hopefully. I'm disappointed they won't be mainline troops, personally, but I can live with them being MHH, simply because it'll make them incredibly powerful, which is suitable.

I'm not too sure about elite infantry though...it sort of sounds too Tower Guard-ish, too Gondor. I think the basic Dunedain infantry with Elven elites works at the moment. If we diversify Arnor's basic battle line too much, it'll make the allies upgrades redundant.

#1583 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

But give you more choice in terms of strategy, more creativity. Arnor does work now, but it could still have that bit more expansion
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#1584 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

Agreed, just a few tweaks and Arnor will pan out fine. :blink: One thing I think should be tinkered with is the training time of the Hobbits, I find it a little unusual that I have pumped out 4 Dunedain solder battalions thus bringing my barracks to level 2 and the Hobbit House is still training its queue, usually 6 Pitchforks.

#1585 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

That of course is only if hobbits are going to say in the main faction, which personally I would rather see them relocated to the Inn.

Posted Image

#1586 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

True, I personally couldn't care either way. the "infantry Hobbits" can't be brought back to the LWM, yet they can be trained at the Barracks. :p The only thing I'd like to see for Arnor are more Men units and maybe relocate the fire arrows upgrade somewhere.

#1587 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

I'd say move the fire arrows to the smith and then move the Silverthornes to the Elven barracks.

At any rate, I'd love to see the Hobbits being thrown down the drain... I can't stand the thought of them being actual units usable in the way they are now.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#1588 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

And I just love to use them as units, just hobbits allover the place. If you don't like them, then don't use them.
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1589 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

Granted, they are a little meh, I use them too. Also, like dojob said, don't like them, don't use them. :thumbsupsmiley:

#1590 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

I don't like them used against me either. Thankfully, I only fight Arnor online, but even then, it's a pain. Canonically, they shouldn't be in. They only fought once for Arnor, and it was in small numbers.

Edited by CIL, 04 May 2009 - 10:22 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#1591 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

So ask people not to use them online. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they're a balance problem or there aren't other people who do like them and think they're good units.

The whole point of playing games like this is to be able to make the units that people want to use and use their imaginations to do things that never happened in the lore or movies, but would still be awesome to see. That's why you can play any faction in any spot on any map with any other factions as ur allies or enemies. That's why Angmar and Arnor are in the mod at the same time as Isengard.

If you're so nitpicky that you want to get rid of 2 units and a building just because they only showed up a little bit and you don't like them, then I think Hobbits are the least of your worries.

Edited by dojob, 05 May 2009 - 12:49 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1592 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

They are a canon problem, though. There were only 2 instances when they fought in numbers over 4 that weren't in their homeland.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#1593 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

So? They still fought, and were capable of fighting.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1594 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

But they hardly ever fought. Ask yourself... would they FREQUENTLY march far and wide to say... Mordor in numbers in excess of 50 to engage in war?

Didn't think so. Nor would the Rohan peasants.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#1595 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

Again,

The whole point of playing games like this is to be able to make the units that people want to use and use their imaginations to do things that never happened in the lore or movies, but would still be awesome to see. That's why you can play any faction in any spot on any map with any other factions as ur allies or enemies. That's why Angmar and Arnor are in the mod at the same time as Isengard.

If you're so nitpicky that you want to get rid of 2 units and a building just because they only showed up a little bit and you don't like them, then I think Hobbits are the least of your worries.

And besides, CIL, they still fought a little, and this mod doesn't give a damn about where people fought or who they fought anyway or else I wouldn't be able to have Elves fighting Rohan in Harad and Rob would've gotten rid of the Arnor and Angmar factions all together. The point is that Hobbits were capable of fighting and actually had fought alongside Arnor soldiers, so if I'm going to take a long-dead kingom to the War of the Ring, then I may as well bring the Hobbits with me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1596 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

OKAY, That's enough!!

My verdict would be keep Hobbits as optional Inn units for Arnor, Dojob can continue to spam hobbits till worlds end provided he has captured an Inn, and CIL can formulate his own strategies without having to worry about hobbits, every one has their own tactics and how to gat about a battlefield.

Hobbits were part of Arnor's domain and if the King required their aid, they would send it, though not too enthsiastically I reckon, and at a price. I certainly disagree with a massive host of Hobbits dominating the battlefield as if they could be recruited they way you could call forth orcs. The most notable instance of Hobbits at war before the War of the Ring was the Battle of Fornost. But then again if Hobbits were known to have sent their folk to do battle against Angmar, they would not have continued as the idyllic people you see in the movie, they would have lacked the innocence and naivety of the wider world that you see in the books. So it's all a bit of a stir about hobbits.

Posted Image

#1597 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

And the maps without inns?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1598 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

OKAY, That's enough!!

My verdict would be keep Hobbits as optional Inn units for Arnor, Dojob can continue to spam hobbits till worlds end provided he has captured an Inn, and CIL can formulate his own strategies without having to worry about hobbits, every one has their own tactics and how to gat about a battlefield.

Hobbits were part of Arnor's domain and if the King required their aid, they would send it, though not too enthsiastically I reckon, and at a price. I certainly disagree with a massive host of Hobbits dominating the battlefield as if they could be recruited they way you could call forth orcs. The most notable instance of Hobbits at war before the War of the Ring was the Battle of Fornost. But then again if Hobbits were known to have sent their folk to do battle against Angmar, they would not have continued as the idyllic people you see in the movie, they would have lacked the innocence and naivety of the wider world that you see in the books. So it's all a bit of a stir about hobbits.

Good Conclusion

And the maps without inns?

Will not get hobbits. Simple :p

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#1599 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:06 AM

That sucks then, because most of the good maps that I like don't have inns :/

After you guys have paraphrased the same "Hobbits didn't send that many troops" argument over and over, I get the point that they were few in number and that they shouldn't be as numerous and spammable as they currently are, but what you're asking for really isn't a fair compromise at all because it effectively gets rid of the Hobbits on the maps that I play on, and is no different to me than getting rid of Hobbits all together.

Now before you respond to this post with YET ANOTHER POST THAT ONLY TALKS ABOUT THEIR NATURE IN THE LORE, I want you guys to answer these questions:

1) Why must the Hobbits, a race that directly sent a force (no matter how small it was, it was still sent) to fight alongside with Arnor soldiers, when other allies such as the Dunedain and Elves can remain?

2) Instead of completely getting rid of Hobbit units, why not just add and alter a few armored man units so Arnor players don't have to use Hobbits, but can still get them on any map if they want to?

3) I get it that Hobbits are WAAAAYYY too spammable at the moment, but why is their removal as normal trainable units the only way to make them less spammy?

4) What do you think about the idea below? WHY DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?

Since there's a common understanding that Hobbits are too spammy, I want to make all of these changes: A) make them require an alliance just like the Elves and Dunedain, thus forcing people to use armored men in the early game and making Hobbits less accessable, B) increase the prices and of the houses and Hobbits themselves while also giving them some small buffs and maybe stealth capabilities to keep them balanced, and C), limit the number of Hobbit HOUSES people can get to 3, so people can't mass mobs of Hobbits in little time.

I honestly think this is a good compromise, because it greatly limits the use of Hobbits while still letting the people who enjoy them use them, and having only 3 (or 1, if you really insist) Hobbit houses basically has the same effect as moving Hobbits to inns, except that it gives people more choices and options than just keeping them at inns whose positions aren't chosen by the player and aren't always on every map.

Sorry for all the big fonts and caps, but I really want to make sure that this post is read and that my questions are answered. I've seen enough posts about the nature of Hobbits in the lore, so more of those won't be necessary. What I've never seen are real reasons why explain their total removal as normal units when there are plenty of other ways to make them less spammable.

Edited by dojob, 09 May 2009 - 01:18 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#1600 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:52 AM

Agreement with Dojob. In this case, screw the lore. They fought, and they should be represented in Arnor without needed a map with an inn on it.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users