Custom map thread.

• Please log in to reply
626 replies to this topic

#501 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:57 AM

Did you set the crates on different waypoints?

It is fixed for now, thanks for attention.

#502 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

I have done some experimenting on FinalAlertMO, and I decided to take a built-in skirmish map and tried to make a custom challenge map.

Minesweeper Challenge

Set in your mind: Annoying mines.

Description:

You have managed to land on an obsolete base, which our enemies were finally succeed to recover the old documents to create an unorthodox massive amount of cataclysmic technologies. You have been noticed that our spy platoon were obliterated by a huge amount of mine traps right after their arrival. Also we didn't have time for our footmen to remove all the barrels at our place since they're already noticed our presence. Watch your every steps.

Map was originally taken from (6) Metallic Madness. Don't get me wrong, just experimenting.

Since I don't know how to make this map as a standard challenge map, right now just put it in the Custom Map folder.

Pay attention below for the actual play for this game.

Number 3 as Chinese,

Number 4 as Epsilon HQ,

and Number 5 as Haihead.

Map:

3l5AFRJ.png

Download:

https://drive.google...JvAdH6S0HFqLA1M

I need to learn more... A mentor could be fine, but I have to back to school again, blin...

Edited by Leitch Blitz Persimmon, 22 December 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#503 fross aka golem

fross aka golem
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:41 PM

you know you can just make one trigger for all crates
just make same number of  actions as the crates
bcoz having lots of triggers might confuse you.

Also,try vewing [Basic] in your map file

that would answer some of your questions.

Edited by fross aka golem, 22 December 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#504 fross aka golem

fross aka golem
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:17 PM

Name: Fross's Soviet Client Theme

Type: Mod addon

Short description: A complete replacement for your current client theme now in soviet theme!

Get it here :  https://drive.google...w4BQxMPJLl9AViF

I accidentaly posted this in map thread and cant delete so...

aaaa.png

Edited by fross aka golem, 22 December 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#505 jabbe18

jabbe18
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

i am downloading the as i type.

#506 jabbe18

jabbe18
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

sorry i was think of different thread

#507 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

you know you can just make one trigger for all crates
just make same number of  actions as the crates
bcoz having lots of triggers might confuse you.

Also,try vewing [Basic] in your map file
that would answer some of your questions.

Never mind, I love to burden myself ha.
I just figure it out.

#508 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

What a brilliant idea of Radiance Challenge that made my mouse annihilated.

#509 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

I will not take any responsibility for the breakage of your hardwares. Radiance Challenge has been designed to have a 'just right' frustration, but I do not and will not test the stress that will occur with Mental AI Boost.

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#510 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:06 AM

I will not take any responsibility for the breakage of your hardwares. Radiance Challenge has been designed to have a 'just right' frustration, but I do not and will not test the stress that will occur with Mental AI Boost.

Don't worry... I'm a player with a lot of Cheeki Breeki in my soul, I won't take that as my downfall as a gopnik gamer muahahahaha

Please do more, I've finished Dictatorship Challenge x3 players, but I didn't really consider that it is quite annoying as Radiance, because I knew that it is going to be relentlessly hard, and of course my AI ally is somehow too stupid.

Edited by Leitch Blitz Persimmon, 24 December 2018 - 04:10 AM.

#511 jabbe18

jabbe18
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

May I ask you guys how you made these maps? And what tools did you use? I want to make some maps for MO but don't have any experiences. 

Btw, that Concentration Challenge by Terminal Velocity is so nicely done! I guess it's totally qualified to be included in the official patch. 

To edit maps on Mental Omega use this

#512 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:59 PM

Please do more, I've finished Dictatorship Challenge x3 players, but I didn't really consider that it is quite annoying as Radiance, because I knew that it is going to be relentlessly hard, and of course my AI ally is somehow too stupid.

I don't really have anymore ideas that doesn't involve mass of units (and that's boring af). Did you try Texthound and Scavenger yet? Admittedly I need to update the latter too

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#513 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

If anybody knows how I can make my map have a Mental Omega style rendered preview, I'd very much appreciate if a step-by-step tutorial was made. I tried CNC Maps renderer, and also tried converting a rendered picture to preview format with XCC and manually pasting it in the map file, but the previews are either huge (take about 3-5 times the disk space official maps do) or have very poor quality or both.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#514 Leitch Blitz Persimmon

Leitch Blitz Persimmon
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

I don't really have anymore ideas that doesn't involve mass of units (and that's boring af). Did you try Texthound and Scavenger yet? Admittedly I need to update the latter too

Finished. I've played both Radiance and Scavenger on medium for YouTube, and play total Mental AI personally, Texthound in ongoing... But consider that school is about to take over my life first-

#515 Starkku

Starkku

Putting the Pro' in 'Procrastination'

• Hosted
  • 434 posts
  • Projects:Project Phantom
  •  Developer of Project Phantom mod for C&C: Yuri's Revenge.

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

If anybody knows how I can make my map have a Mental Omega style rendered preview, I'd very much appreciate if a step-by-step tutorial was made. I tried CNC Maps renderer, and also tried converting a rendered picture to preview format with XCC and manually pasting it in the map file, but the previews are either huge (take about 3-5 times the disk space official maps do) or have very poor quality or both.

Official maps use separate images (same location and name as map but with PNG extension) for the preview in the client. These are the full-sized map renders that have been resized to 15% of their original size and indexed to a 256-color palette to save on file sizes. Maps themselves do not have custom embedded previews, using ones generated by map editor to my knowledge.

Now the client would be able to load the separate previews for custom maps as well, if it wasn't for a small bug that causes it to try and load them from an incorrect path. Although it probably wouldn't work with the map transfer feature, assuming that even works at all for MO or in general. So as it stands, your best bet is probably making a full size render, resizing it to 15% and using that XCC method to embed it in the map itself. That is guaranteed to increase the map size, though, and I am unsure if it will produce results that are 1:1 with the official map previews.

eWPQbKY.png

#516 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:02 PM

So, while we wait for the 3.3.4. update to come out, I think now's a good time for another fan mission. This one is called Metastasis and it's another PsiCorps mission in Russia. This time your objective is to capture a secret Soviet island research facility off the coast of Siberia. You only get a small force at the beginning, so you must turn enemy units and buildings against them and secure the few opportunities for reinforcements. The enemy will also not hesitate to send lots of units against you, so it pays to  play aggressively. Anyway play the mission to see for yourself.

[pic]

More screenshots here: https://photos.app.g...bHmoyzpD4wf2VN7

Doesn't replace any official mission, installation instructions are in the zip.

EDIT: fixed an issue that can softlock the game upon mission ending

Hey, I really liked this mission. It's relatively simple yet enjoyable (played on Easy tho), and what I liked the most, it's not overdecorated unlike what most Chinese mappers do. The mission's text (incl introduction and briefing) are nicely written as well, in 3.0 era it'd pass as an official mission imo. I also like how you made edits to battleclient.ini and made a separate stringtable, something mappers often don't do. There are a few complaints though:

- Spawn points for starting team and enemy reinforcements should be moved off screen, it looks really weird when they just appear out of nowhere in front of your camera. 
- When placing vehicles on the map, do not place them on adjacent tiles, it just looks wrong due to how large the voxels are.
- Infantry from destroyed buildings often stand idle after the structure is destroyed, I think they should either go to another garrison or into enemy base to attack it.

- Starting Zubrs should form a more natural looking convoy (a long line), not just bunch up on the same spot if you want to acheive good looking intro scene.

- Mainland reinforcements attack repeats even after you have already captured the lab, and even after the enemy went on all hunt mission. Is that intended?
- The last thing, I don't think the soviet general knows that Yuri officers are called proselytes.. Nor Yuri would say "sorry" to a servant like that :p

Are there any more missions made by you? Or maybe there will be some?

#517 Terminal Velocity

Terminal Velocity

title available

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

@Damfoos Here's another one made by him called The Overcast.

MO2.0 Ares Port (Beta):

https://drive.google...BIYEYXz7u8KCAMr

My maps:

#518 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

Official maps use separate images (same location and name as map but with PNG extension) for the preview in the client. These are the full-sized map renders that have been resized to 15% of their original size and indexed to a 256-color palette to save on file sizes. Maps themselves do not have custom embedded previews, using ones generated by map editor to my knowledge.

Now the client would be able to load the separate previews for custom maps as well, if it wasn't for a small bug that causes it to try and load them from an incorrect path. Although it probably wouldn't work with the map transfer feature, assuming that even works at all for MO or in general. So as it stands, your best bet is probably making a full size render, resizing it to 15% and using that XCC method to embed it in the map itself. That is guaranteed to increase the map size, though, and I am unsure if it will produce results that are 1:1 with the official map previews.

So the bottom line is, that it isn't exactly possible to implement a preview exactly as it is with official maps. Thank you for explaining. I guess I will release my map without a rendered preview then, as I also want to send it in to nominate as an official map for the next release.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#519 infini_ty

infini_ty
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:02 AM

Hi, I have made a custom mission for allied nations. It may be related to the main storyline, or not at all.

I also tested the difficulty on mental and normal. The result is the enemies can be so hard to handle if you don't prepare your base defenses and guards earlier before 2 massive enemy attack waves. And due to many troops targeting at various targets at the same moment, the game can become slower, so destroying the enemy bases is the major solution for the issue.

Download this mission here. The mission is named Uninvited Guest.

Enjoy the mission. Find me some bugs in the missions so I can do an improvement for the mission. Thanks.

Edited by infini_ty, 27 December 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#520 ComradeFrana

ComradeFrana
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Projects:Stayin' alive
  •  Comrade

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:06 AM

Hey, I really liked this mission. It's relatively simple yet enjoyable (played on Easy tho), and what I liked the most, it's not overdecorated unlike what most Chinese mappers do.

Glad you liked it. Honestly it got out of hand and ended up being quite a mess.

- Spawn points for starting team and enemy reinforcements should be moved off screen, it looks really weird when they just appear out of nowhere in front of your camera.

Looking at it now, I somehow left no border at the bottom side of the map. :facepalm: That's probably the issue.

- When placing vehicles on the map, do not place them on adjacent tiles, it just looks wrong due to how large the voxels are.

I honestly was never bothered by that, but I'll try to avoid it if I can from now on.

- Infantry from destroyed buildings often stand idle after the structure is destroyed, I think they should either go to another garrison or into enemy base to attack it.

Good idea. I'll see what I can do about that, the scripting when it comes to garrisoning can be pretty weird.

- Starting Zubrs should form a more natural looking convoy (a long line), not just bunch up on the same spot if you want to acheive good looking intro scene.

The idea was that they arrive in a formation and discharge all units at once, creating an ambush. I could make them a convoy, but it may be hard to time.

- Mainland reinforcements attack repeats even after you have already captured the lab, and even after the enemy went on all hunt mission. Is that intended?

Yes. The idea was that they will just keep coming and you have limited resources, so the player will have an incentive to be aggressive and quickly go for the lab. I admittedly got pretty lazy with this, so might warrant a change.

- The last thing, I don't think the soviet general knows that Yuri officers are called proselytes.. Nor Yuri would say "sorry" to a servant like that

Now that you mention it, I have now idea if the general could now that or not. But it's not an official mission and I thought it would be cool, so... :evgr:

Are there any more missions made by you? Or maybe there will be some?

The first question was answered by Terminal Velocity, the second: yes, I'm currently working on one (on and off again). Had to pretty much change the whole concept midway, so it will be interesting to see what's going to come out of it.

Edited by ComradeFrana, 28 December 2018 - 12:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users