1712 replies to this topic

#1161 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  Learned student and studier of lore

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:34 AM

Hmm, that might make sense. But the problem there is that Elrond also helped against Angmar, with Arnor. Removing him would take away from the canonical aspect of that faction, but if Elrond has to be replaced with Glorfindel, so be it: Glorfindel was a much more important figure with Arnor, because he led the Elves along side the kings of Arnor during the war. So I could see that, yeah.

But I still have a problem with Cirdan. He doesn't really play a monsterously huge part with Arnor. So I guess he's considered, for the moment at least, filler? Or I'd hope so. Until Rob and the rest of the team can find someone better, I imagine. If thats the case, I'm sure I could think up something, if given some time...

Edited by Lord_Faramir, 05 February 2009 - 06:45 AM.

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#1162 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

Hmm, that might make sense. Glorfindel was a much more important figure with Arnor, because he led the Elves along side the kings of Arnor during the war. So I could see that, yeah.
But I still have a problem with Cirdan. He doesn't really play a monsterously huge part with Arnor...

For me, moving Elrond to the Elves and making Elladan+Elrohir an Inn-Unit sounds great. It's a good way to handle it. :p Being somehow close to the books Glorfindel really should be part of Arnor's Heroes. It was fun playing with him in previous versions of this mod.
But - Cirdan? Hmm... First of all it takes quite a long time until he's some kind of useful within the game (by power) and moreover I only use him for "beaming" my troops into the enemy base, after attacking with an earthquake. >> SCOTTY BEAM ME UP :crazed:
So i think Cirdan really could be removed.

@IhtilienRanger73: You're right with the trebuchets - Mordor's Trebs are quite too strong.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like - and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve! (Bilbo Beutlin)
Posted Image

#1163 Argeleb

Argeleb

title available

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

No no Elrond needs to be removed, not Cirdan. Elrond didn't himself battle but Cirdan was in the final battle against Angmar
Fan of mods:
RJ-ROWTK, Massive Middle-earth, Elven Alliance,
Battles of Narnia, Lone Wolf, Rhovanion Alliance,
Age of the Firstborn, The Fourth Age, Battles of Gondor,
Note: Mods are not "how much I like them" order
Argeleb Posted Image

#1164 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  Learned student and studier of lore

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Both should be removed and Glorfindel added. Cirdan didn't play a huge part in the whole conflict, compared to Glorfindel in almost the entire war. And plus, Cirdan is really quite useless. I agree with Thrandoer.

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#1165 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  •  Amateur Writer, Veteran Gamer

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

Cirdan is the leader of the Mithlond elves, and so a fitting addition to Arnor, in my opinion. (Besides, he's the one who gave his ring, one of the three, to Gandalf later on; I believe at this point he still had it.)

Anyway, I had another idea. Considering Gondor did eventually come to Arnor's aid, (even if they were a bit late :p ) I was wondering if there could be either another fortress alliance that could be made, or more likely make Gondor a faction Arnor can ally with at the inn. Either way, I was thinking something along the lines of allowing Earnur to be recruited, and also having the tower guards from BFME II available. You know, the ones who just had those long pikes, and no shields. They could still be called just plain old "tower guards".

On another note, which I guess this is as good as any other place to post, how about a Dunedain inn faction? You could recruit rangers from them, and for a hero you could have Halberad. (If I spelt that right! :D )

#1166 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Yes Dunedain inn faction would fit alright. Halbarad would fit there too :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1167 Guest_GuestArgeleb_*

Guest_GuestArgeleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:57 AM

No he wouldn't. He was born 700-900 years after Battle for Arnor.

Arnor inn units could be:

Rhovanion knights
Gondor Warriors (with different skin than soldiers)
Gondor Marksmen (with different skin than archers)

#1168 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

I think what they meant was a later WotR inn faction for the WotR factions. :crazed:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#1169 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Cirdan needs to be in the mod, though, and not as a campaign hero, whether it be with the Elves or Arnor. He was in the final battle between Arnor and Angmar, as well as a major player in the 1st Age. Anyways, Elrond did help Arnor, but he was the guy standing back and telling Glorfindel what to do.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#1170 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

[...]
Anyway, I had another idea. Considering Gondor did eventually come to Arnor's aid, (even if they were a bit late :) ) I was wondering if there could be either another fortress alliance that could be made, or more likely make Gondor a faction Arnor can ally with at the inn.
On another note, which I guess this is as good as any other place to post, how about a Dunedain inn faction? You could recruit rangers from them, and for a hero you could have Halberad. (If I spelt that right! ;) )

Aham .. ah .. actually you're just repeating my own words in both of your notes. :crazed:
I was asking that Dunedain-Gondor-Alliance-thing on page 58 before.
Dalf32 (one of the Mod-Members) answered following: "[...]i dont know about using gondorian buildings in arnor. i dont really see the purpose; it just fudges the line between the two factions. besides, i like the current symmetry that we have in those alliances: they each allow you to build one building from which you can build units of that alliance. adding multiple gondor buildings removes that for no reason that i can see other than 'just because'."

Talking about Halbarad - just have a look at page 58 again. There you'll get your answer. Sorry for that.
BESIDES: I still do have the same oppinion as you have ... :)

Edited by Thrândoér, 07 February 2009 - 09:05 PM.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like - and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve! (Bilbo Beutlin)
Posted Image

#1171 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  •  Amateur Writer, Veteran Gamer

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:39 AM

Oops! Sorry about that. I guess you had mentioned the Gondor-alliance first; I must have forgotten. In that case, then, I agree with you. :thumbsdownsmiley: I did add a couple thoughts to the basic idea, so at least my post wasn't a complete waste. :evgr:

And yes, I saw what Dalf32 said. I was thinking more along the lines of an inn-faction, anyway, since Arnor needs something of the sort.

However, I seem to be missing your reference to Halbarad. I looked, but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe it's just me; wouldn't be the first thing I've missed today! This may be a little strange, but I was wondering, if the Dunedain inn-faction does become a reality (for the WotR era factions, I should add! :p ) that maybe Elladan and Elrohir could be two of their heroes, alongside Halbarad? Maybe the two of them could be both for the elf and dunedain factions, considering that they helped both.

#1172 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Just so you know, grey company summon will replace earthquake for gondor with halbarad, the elf twins, and a bunch of rangers.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#1173 Thrândoér

Thrândoér
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Just so you know, grey company summon will replace earthquake for gondor with halbarad, the elf twins, and a bunch of rangers.

That sounds cool :thumbsupsmiley:
But will it be an equal powerful replacement for the earthquake? Meaning - after it it's pretty easy to attack...
Did you mean it something the way you can call the Istari in Arnor?
Posted Image

#1174 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:39 AM

You should get to keep the heroes.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#1175 Dragonforce

Dragonforce
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:51 AM

If they're replacing Earthquake, Dunedain rangers need laaaaarge improve
Posted Image Dragonforce
Posted Image

#1176 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Maybe, like in the book, the summoned ones could have both bows and spears? And horses? :p

Edited by ithilienranger732, 10 February 2009 - 12:53 PM.

#1177 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

And had the strength of 10 men .

#1178 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

30 actually
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#1179 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

"If you are like Aragorn, thirty such knights will be welcome." ~ Pseudo-quote of Theoden. :p

It doesn't mean that they had the strength of thirty men... it means that there were thirty men. :)

Edited by ithilienranger732, 10 February 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#1180 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

With each being worth at least ten Men in a fight :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)