• Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Damn.

That is really nice

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#402 Bengamey

Bengamey
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

COoooOL!

I love all the buildings except the tower (that I just like a lot but that it is too Isengardish), I love the fortress expansions (especially the mountain giant sentry) But for the fortress itself sorry but I prefer mine (Even if yours he's also a lot better than EA's one). I had the same idea of puting a big drum on top of my fortress even if I didn't know what should be it's effect.

Some more ideas
Please put that old cauldron with a bizare soup beside the goblin's tent (It's a basic Item from BFME2 called Cauldron). The treasure idea is just great maybe some more skeletons of human dwarves and orcs who tried to steal it. Neutrall Troll lair and spider lair fit the faction very well. Maybe the warg lair should be a little more organized than just the hole they have as neutral. And also please use Angmar's warg look as Guillermo de Toro told the wargs in the Hobbit movie will look a lot more wolves. And it would be cool to fit it style by advance!

If goblins are becoming that, I think I will play with them a lot more. They may even become my favourite faction !

And would it be possible for the mine to keep the animation of the two goblins playing with rocks even if the model of the mine itself is changed. I quite like this little anim

Edited by Bengamey, 10 April 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#403 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

I actually think that Bengamey's first fortress fits the Goblin bill more so than Uruk King's (sorry, nothing personal). It has the look of an older building that the goblins simply took over for themselves, rather than something they threw together with spit and slime. It looks a lot cooler, IMHO.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#404 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

I agree with Ithillien, but as for the other buildings, I liked Uroks better. IMO having the creep lairs as buildings for goblins is kinda confusing/weird, It would seem a little redundant to have them as actual building and also kinda defeats the purpose of untamed allegiance powers. And if anything it may even confuse someone, considering you can build your buildings anywhere and an enemy may not be able to tell your structure from a creep at first glance, though that might not be such a bad thing :rolleyes:

I also love the idea of the drum as the fortress power. Instead of just damage boosting, however, I feel that it should also induce some fear as well. Considering that is what happened in Moria.
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#405 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

Or it could work sort of like Call the Horde, with the name "Drums in the Deep". After all, the drum was the signal to call the army of the goblins together. If it worked as their final tier of the fortress, that would be an amazing touch. :rolleyes: *Which faction is going to be overhauled next?*

#406 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

I also love the idea of the drum as the fortress power. Instead of just damage boosting, however, I feel that it should also induce some fear as well. Considering that is what happened in Moria.

That may have something to do with the location. A giant abandoned city built into the roots of a mountain is creepy enough without some random guy doing a drum solo in the distance.

Or it could work sort of like Call the Horde, with the name "Drums in the Deep". After all, the drum was the signal to call the army of the goblins together. If it worked as their final tier of the fortress, that would be an amazing touch. :blush: *Which faction is going to be overhauled next?*

Maybe as a fortress upgrade it gives a bonus to unit recruitment speeds in a radius around the fortress, as well as working as an aura of command, giving prevention to fear as well as maybe movement speed and attack damage buffs? I think it'd make a much better final fortress upgrade than the random dragon statue, which imo is kind of redundant with the drake MHH and dragon heroes.

Edited by Gr1m, 11 April 2009 - 06:59 AM.

#407 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

To make the reasons for my choice of the Goblin Fortress clear, I did try the Fortress design Bengamey used on a Castle base floor, and it would have been too big, complete with all the fortress expansions, besides it's covered in snow, and wouldn't work on a non-snow map, plus it , it could always be remade into a ruined Carn Dum map. I chose the one in the pictures because it seemed right, it looked realistic, and didn't have that cartoony look that you find in a lot of BFME II's new designs

But, I suppose the Goblin citadel I have seems a bit too articulate for their kind, rather like something out of Mordor-ish design. I could try a tall rock Formation, cover it in banners, skeletons, torches, totems and Goblin sentinels and call it a citadel. But I really am not sure about the Carn Dum ruin design, sorry.

On a more positive note, thanks for all the compliments. :blush:
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#408 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

To make the reasons for my choice of the Goblin Fortress clear, I did try the Fortress design Bengamey used on a Castle base floor, and it would have been too big, complete with all the fortress expansions, besides it's covered in snow, and wouldn't work on a non-snow map, plus it , it could always be remade into a ruined Carn Dum map. I chose the one in the pictures because it seemed right, it looked realistic, and didn't have that cartoony look that you find in a lot of BFME II's new designs

But, I suppose the Goblin citadel I have seems a bit too articulate for their kind, rather like something out of Mordor-ish design. I could try a tall rock Formation, cover it in banners, skeletons, torches, totems and Goblin sentinels and call it a citadel. But I really am not sure about the Carn Dum ruin design, sorry.

On a more positive note, thanks for all the compliments. :blush:

It's nice work, there's no denying that, but...what's the reasoning behind the giant glowing red tower? To me personally, it just sticks out like a sore thumb. The only reason I ask was because I envisaged something completely different, and I was wondering where you got the idea from.

Edited by Gr1m, 11 April 2009 - 07:27 AM.

#409 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

Partly because it was there in the beggining, and there was a Mordor feel to it, and that's really what the Goblins were, an extension of Sauron's power in the North, just gone wild. I can't really explain the red glow of the fortress, perhaps some kind of orcish sorcery, or the power of the Balrog seeping through the rock. By the way, what would have you imagined?

Posted Image

#410 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Partly because it was there in the beggining, and there was a Mordor feel to it, and that's really what the Goblins were, an extension of Sauron's power in the North, just gone wild. I can't really explain the red glow of the fortress, perhaps some kind of orcish sorcery, or the power of the Balrog seeping through the rock. By the way, what would have you imagined?

Well...I was thinking a ruined Dwarven fort, just re-occupied by the Goblins. It'd be covered in scaffolding and there would be Goblin archers standing on top of every rooftop, and rather than having a central tower, it'd have a massive pit (sort of looking like the Goblin tunnel entrance thing). Maybe have a defaced Dwarven statue standing over the pit or something.

#411 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

The idea of a desecrated Dwarven fort sounds like an excellent suggestion, and closer to the fact that the Goblins stole a lot from the Dwarves. So much that when I was redesigning my first idea of a Goblin fort, I also took up the idea of a ruined Dwarf citadel, and designed what it could possibly look like.

The First one is a redo of my first Goblin fortress, but with scaffolding, and a more rocky look to it, to screen off as much of the original architecture as possible, to suggest the Goblins carved the tower from the Earth with thousands of snaga, and hauled rocks out of the ground and stuck a metal spire on top. The glowing red look on the strucure could be toned down to resemble blood.

I redesigned the buildings slightly, the tower is improved with a rock foundation/ I added distinguishing features to the Warg and troll creep lairs (scaffolding and fences), to differenciate them from their untamed counterparts. The Tresure trove has skeletons and even a pile of skulls on the left scaffold! :blush: .

But following the idea of a dwarven ruin, I took bits and bobs of Dwarf buldings, ruined them, covered them is scaffolding, totems, a couple of Minas Morgul gargoyles, skeletons, Red Eye banners, and a Drum at the top. The fortress upgrades and expansions are still the same as the ones in the post displaying the first designs.

Attached Thumbnails

• Revised_Goblin_Fortress.jpg
  • Revised_Goblin_base.jpg
  • New_Goblin_Base.jpg
  • Revised_Goblin_Base2.jpg

Posted Image

#412 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Maybe put the Goblin banner instead of the Great Eye? *Yes, it's an EA creation, but if you're putting down the Mordor banner you might as well change all the goblin banners to the Mordor banner, and then...* [dies off grumbling]

#413 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

That is much more goblinish that ea :blush:

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#414 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

These creations are awesome. I especially like the treasure cove. :blush:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#415 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

Oh hey, this is kinda awesome.

#416 shadowcreature

shadowcreature

title available

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  RJ-Bug Hunter

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

These designs are incredible, however I agree that the Mordor Flags should replaced with the Goblins.

#417 Adamin

Adamin
  • Project Team
  • 180 posts
  • Projects:Edain Mod
  •  Skinner, 2D-Artist, Isengard-Freak

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

The fortress looks nice, especially because it shows the orcish mentality of "recycling". ^^

But I think that it lacks a bit of creativity, if you simply replace the recruitment-buildings with the neutral creep-buildings. The original EA-Buildings are so horrible because of skins. With some more "realistic" texture the buildings look really good.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien-
"Obstacles are those terrible things you see when you take your eyes off your goals."
-Unknown-

#418 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

If you see the Moria Orcs in the FotR, someof them have an emblem resembling the Eye of Sauron, and besides the Goblin banner is a bloody spider! Its as if they worshipped Shelob, not Sauron, besides it was either the Red Eye or the White Hand, which would you chose? I couldn't find a Goblin banner anywhere

Posted Image

#419 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

They did?

#420 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

Then make a new banner yourself... ;)
Posted Image