• Please log in to reply
1109 replies to this topic

#601 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hooray for nostalgia!

Units
Orc Warriors.
-Standard Orc warriors..though, unlike Mordor, can be upgraded with Heavy Armour and Forged Blades.
Orc Trackers.
-Orcs with bows...while they're still crap archers, can be upgraded with Heavy Armour. Also, use Poisoned Arrows against units and Flaming Arrows against structures - they gain access to that once they reach rank two.
Outlaw Brigands.
-A mix of Wildmen of Dunland, Rhudaur Hillmen, etc. Anyway, toggle between spears and bows. Have strong health and attack, but relatively weak armor. Also move quite fast and are stealthed when in trees upon reaching rank two.
Were-wolf of Forochel.
-A single unit, only useful in melee combat. As you could guess, a werewolf - though not like what you're likely used to. Instead of toggling from an ordinary Man to a...hairier Man, stays as a monstrous, bipedal, ferocious wolf.
Emissaries of the Iron Crown.
-Vampires..basically a large, humanoid bat. Useful mainly for scouting, causing fear in enemy troops, and providing air support in combat if forced. Acts as a miniature Nazgul on Fell Beast. Like the Were-wolves, single units.
Black Numenorean.
-Single, Captain unit. Provides leadership to nearby troops while creating negative effects in enemy ones. Wields a large, claymore-like sword, and gets a heavy armour upgrade upon reaching a certain rank - three, maybe five.
Mire-Wights.
-Slaved to a building, the "Fell Haunt" for lack of a better name. Take away enemy leadership effects, and attack enemy troops in melee combat - pretty much exactly like the Barrow-Wights found ingame.

#602 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

I think a different cavalry ought to be used instead of the wolf riders. Perhaps black numenorians on black horses, much like the Witch-king's mount but without the armor.
I also think Angmar should have some hero or power or unit that is a dragon considering and assuming dragons were more plentiful in the arnor/angmar struggle. I know Angmar is an ice nation, but I seem to remember reading somewhere about a ice dragon or something like that so that.

Edited by Wanderer∞, 22 January 2009 - 03:29 AM.

Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#603 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

I agree about dif calvery but not to sure about an ice dragon?. :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#604 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

Yeah the dragons a little out there. I'll have to see if I can find where its mentioned. Then again, I could just be imagining reading about it.
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#605 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:46 AM

Yeah i'v heard of it somewhere, i think, but i dont think angmar needs a dragon.
just my thoughts lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#606 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

Sorry. I did forget to clarify that when i said ice dragon, I meant a dragon that dwells in the cold regions but still breathes fire and what-not. :p

Yeah i'v heard of it somewhere, i think, but i dont think angmar needs a dragon.
just my thoughts lol.

Probably doesn't but, meh, as long as we're opting for changing up Angmar, I mine as well throw some suggestions i there :p

Edited by Wanderer∞, 22 January 2009 - 03:51 AM.

Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

-Captain Jason Nesmith

#607 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:50 AM

well that makes sence, but yeah idk :p

Edited by shadowfoxt, 22 January 2009 - 03:51 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#608 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:51 AM

Cold Drakes couldn't breathe fire. Cavalry would have been both unwieldy in Eriador and against the fighting 'conduct' of the Forces of the Enemy - large numbers of infantry were always their specialty, not elite corps of cavalry.

#609 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:34 AM

I guess your right there all though 1 type of horseman might be nice :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#610 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

title available

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

(yes, I meant the Easterling Hero. God forbid anyone removes Karsh, he's their best hero)

Cold Drakes were Dragon-like creatures with hides as thick and strong as steel. They couldn't breathe fire but they were massive and had incredible strength.

I don't like Angmar much either. They're too cartoony, too World of Warcraft, as has been said. They're like the current Nazgul names.
I'd remove the idea of the Thrall Master and use him as a captain-unit instead, who provides leadership or anti-fear to nearby units. I'd have the Hillmen as a minifaction recruitable from a Tavern or Wildman Tent. Their unit would be a mix of Spearmen and Wildmen that has strong attack against infantry, cavalry and buildings but overall rubbish armor and hitpoints. They could also recruit Axethrowers.
Very basic infantry would be Gundabad Orcs. Wolf Riders would be moved to the Goblins.
The main force of the Angmar army would be the powerful Black Numenorean Swordsmen, Knights and Rangers, the Knights being roughly the same as those belonging to Gondor but all in black and armed with scimatars or other unpleasant weapons.
The Snow/Hill Trolls would be moved to the Goblins, possibly along with the Stone Throwers. They would all be recruitable from a new building for the goblins.
The Sorcerers would remain as they are, although able to level up much quicker and with a special noedhel-style attack useable at Lvl.5 that recharges quickly and is good against buildings.
From a new building, the Barrows (the wight creep lair), you can recruit Vampires, who can switch from man form (very good against units, drains life) to bat form (cannot attack but fast and good line of sight), Werewolves, who are powerful wolf beings, and Wights (or Mewlips)

#611 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK Mapping Team
  •  Loremaster

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

I like the Vampire as only the Bat. Tolkien didn't have the normal type of Werewolf and Vampire in mind when he wrote about them. I would really like to see the Vampire have a power at lvl 3 say where he latches on to someone and sucks them dry. The Vampire can't attack or get off until all the health is drained. This is good against heroes yet leaves them open to attack from archers around said hero.

#612 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

I don't like Angmar much either. They're too cartoony, too World of Warcraft, as has been said. They're like the current Nazgul names.

Agree with the Angmar point. If Mike gets his way (which I hope he does), Angmar will be completely ripped apart and put back together. And let's not cram that new-Nazgul-name idea down our throats in every thread...

I'd remove the idea of the Thrall Master and use him as a captain-unit instead, who provides leadership or anti-fear to nearby units.

From the deepest part of my soul, I hate captain-units because they take away from the functions of an actual hero. But that's just my point of view on them. I, myself, kind of like the Thrall Masters since they're kind of original and they can be used as early game units.

I'd have the Hillmen as a minifaction recruitable from a Tavern or Wildman Tent. Their unit would be a mix of Spearmen and Wildmen that has strong attack against infantry, cavalry and buildings but overall rubbish armor and hitpoints. They could also recruit Axethrowers.

We have enough mini faction systems right now. The elves have it, MOTE have it... Adding one more mini/sub faction is just going to take away the fresh appeal that RJ-ROTWK keeps with its factions. For the Rhudaurian (right word, guys?) units, only axe-throwers and spearmen are needed. The way I view them is that they are the early-game units of Angmar. So I would still like to see these guys in as their own units and not a thrall summon. Having these units on their own (like you suggested) would also give Hwaldir more of a purpose (assuming that he's still in).

Very basic infantry would be Gundabad Orcs. Wolf Riders would be moved to the Goblins.
The main force of the Angmar army would be the powerful Black Numenorean Swordsmen, Knights and Rangers, the Knights being roughly the same as those belonging to Gondor but all in black and armed with scimatars or other unpleasant weapons.

I'm more of a fan of Mike's idea for a tech-tree at this point in time.

The Snow/Hill Trolls would be moved to the Goblins, possibly along with the Stone Throwers. They would all be recruitable from a new building for the goblins.

Maybe to the Snow/Hill trolls but I definitely don't agree with the Stone Throwers because they already have Giants to do the Sieging. Sure they aren't siege weapons but considering their uses, the Giants are more useful than Stone Throwers anyways. Besides, I really doubt that the Goblins would make a Stone Thrower type weapon.

The Sorcerers would remain as they are, although able to level up much quicker and with a special noedhel-style attack useable at Lvl.5 that recharges quickly and is good against buildings.

Noledhel type attacks should only stay with the elves...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#613 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

I mostly agree with Mikes Techtree for the most part.

Perhaps the outlaw brigands could toggle between spear and axe (not the kind that's thrown at enemies). In other words while orcs are cutting down enemies with sword and bow, Rhudaur Hillmen are hacking up horsemen and structure. Werewolves, vampires and wights I would love to see. As for Black Numenoreans, well they're much more suited as captain units, I think, or a small company of elite warriors. Trolls really cant go, perhaps Hill and Snow Trolls could be single powerful units with certain alterations to their Mordor cousins. Wolves should remain as shock troops, and Wolf Riders should stay as Angmar's only form of cavalry, weak against more superior cavalry, but swift and effective against infantry and archers. Their lack of versatility encourages the player to focus on the creatures, and other fear inducing units under his command.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#614 Argeleb

Argeleb

title available

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hmm... I disagree with moving trolls & wolves away. Trolls are main evil creatures(after orcs, of course) and Hill & Snow trolls just belong to Angmar, hard to explain :p Snow Trolls fit perfectly with the "ice" theme.

Troll stone thrower must keep in Angmar. We don't want to leave Witch-king without siege weapons, do we? :crazed:

Wolf riders are maybe not so important if Numenorians have cavarly. Agreed with Thrall master ideas.

Rhudaur units could have their own building or they could be recruited from Hall of the king's men.

The most important thing that Angmar needs is the use of orcs. Orcs should be the main infantry.
Fan of mods:
RJ-ROWTK, Massive Middle-earth, Elven Alliance,
Battles of Narnia, Lone Wolf, Rhovanion Alliance,
Age of the Firstborn, The Fourth Age, Battles of Gondor,
Note: Mods are not "how much I like them" order
Argeleb Posted Image

#615 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

cant we just give the trolls a reskin and as for the snow trolls, can't we replace them with like cave trolls except make them albino or something

Posted Image

#616 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

That would work. I think that we should do something totally different with the trolls. You just buy a troll and it comes out as a random type. You can then upgrade the trolls with weapons.

#617 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

That would work. I think that we should do something totally different with the trolls. You just buy a troll and it comes out as a random type. You can then upgrade the trolls with weapons.

Thats a great idea.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#618 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Yes I think that will do the trick nicely. :p As for the Hill Trolls, they can be a pale greyish green version of the cave troll.

But EA has already blundered on and designed two create-a-hero troll classes in likeness of their own designs, would it be possible to alter them?
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#619 {IP} Aridor

{IP} Aridor

Redeemed Ranger

• Project Team
  • 1,576 posts
  •  Loremaster

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

I believe that right now the CAH system is going to be removed

#620 shadowfoxt

shadowfoxt