• Please log in to reply
758 replies to this topic

#641 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

I made some assumptions. I didn't know much about how the 1st war would affect Europe and RA2 acted like nothing at all happened.

My thought on Mongolia was that it had Epsilon influence. If you dig back to my old country suggestions, I suggested a Epsilon cell operating in Mongolia. Something to note, Epsilon controlled doesn't necessarily mean total control. It is that case in Africa from Scorpion Cell but across the entire globe. Epsilon after all is kind of like Nod in that they stay in the shadows.

(EDIT: I found my old post.)

I don't see any reason why the world would still have too many colonies. World War 2 did decolonize the world but who says that the Red Alert version wouldn't either? Plus, Scorpion Cell is in control in most of Africa anyways.

Anyhow, I revised the map a little. Some changes:

- Eastern Europe is redone. Poland, Romania, and Slovakia now are the border Soviet states. Yugoslavia is now under Epsilon influence. This is because I took Tito into consideration. So Yugoslavia is either neutral or Epsilon controlled.

- Mongolia is now under Soviet control. My guess being that it would probably be under dual Chinese and Russian control. Even with the Epsilon suggestion, this is how I thought of it anyways so marking it as such doesn't matter a whole lot.

- I fixed some of the Pacific islands. A few were under Allied control from when I first created the map. I corrected them to be Epsilon.

Attached Thumbnails

• MentalOmegaPolitical.png

Edited by Darkstorm, 03 November 2011 - 03:10 AM.

#642 Aasgier

Aasgier

title available

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

The Allies won the first war, and now the map still looks as if they did not. They would have an even bigger territory in Europe (at least including Poland, and up to the point Poland borders to Russia directly considering the Second World War did not take place which greatly reduced Poland's and Germany's territory).
Look at a 1937 map of Europe and you will see what I'm talking about. :wink_new:

Also, maybe it is worth thinking about entirely redoing eastern Europe considering it changed often in the period between 1910 and 1995.

Edited by Aasgier, 03 November 2011 - 09:52 AM.

#643 Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Mental Face

• Project Team
  • 328 posts
  • Projects:Nothing worth showing off.
  •  Actually Yngwie of House Malmsteen.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Who are the yellows?

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

#644 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, who are they?

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#645 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts
  •  Mentalmeister - Random Annoying Guy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

Neutral?

#646 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

In the whole world there are two neutral countries? :p

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#647 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts
  •  Mentalmeister - Random Annoying Guy

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

Why not? :p

#648 Aasgier

Aasgier

title available

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

If working with neutral countries, well, then we should add Persia as well.

#649 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

@Aasgier - Like I said, this is a stock map. I didn't physically build it. I just used the outline that Lefthand made from another stock map. I might consider merging Yugoslavia but I don't want to really do heavy alterations. The only two I'm considering is Germany's preWW2 boundary and Yugoslavia. There is absolutely no reason to alter it as heavily as you did in my opinion.

@Everyone Else - Yellow is TOTALLY Neutral. Most countries have some kind of preference where as Switzerland and Sweden are political neutral and act as deal brokers in a sense for the major factions. Vatican City (1 pixel) is neutral for obvious reasons. I figured that being this a global World War 3, there would be mostly all countries involved in some small way. I'm not 100% sure if Sweden needs to be but they were in WW2 iirc so I made them neutral here.

EDIT: Would anyone be against me making Vietnam Allied? It was one of my former suggestions and I don't think it'll affect the mod in any way.

EDIT2: Also, should I restore Manchuria? It was taken by Japan during WW2 and became apart of China. Considering the MO loading screen includes it in China's border, I'm thinking no.

EDIT3: Should I combine the borders of the USSR countries? After all, they are technically all apart of one nation. China and the Latin Confederation are allies (right?) of the USSR and other places are occupied territories.

Edited by Darkstorm, 04 November 2011 - 03:58 AM.

#650 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've finished some of the map's alterations. I've restored Germany's preWW2 border. Keep in mind that East Prussia is still under the control of the USSR. I've restored Yugoslavia and Palestine. Israel wouldn't of been formed as most of the Jewish population would probably still be in Europe. Lastly, I've restored Czechoslovakia. The only other consideration would be combining the USSR and maybe India (with some of the surrounding nations).

I've also added in Antarctica. I had to slice it in myself so it may not have the same detail and quality as the rest of the map, but I think it was needed. It is the home of Headquarters and I moved the Psicorps flag to near Indonesia. Keep in mind Psicorps is still a global task force, but I thought it was the best place to put them as Pacific islands are likely to be controlled by them over the other subfactions.

Vietnam is now an Allied nation. A little fan fiction (I guess) on my part. The Vietminh (the Vietnamese revolutionaries) were a force that France could not deal with in World War 2 (with the Soviets) so they decided to grant them independence on one condition. They join the Allies and formed a democracy (better than South Vietnam's, as that one was corrupt). They fought against the Japanese in the Pacific Theater and were unable to aid in the war with the Soviet Union. (The idea being that the Japanese would've continued their expansion without Nazi Germany anyways so the Pacific Theater was fought between the United States and Japan alone.)

I can reverse that change if somebody wants but I thought it was an interesting idea. I also switched the Indian Ocean islands and the Bahamas to Allied controlled. If you see any bright cyan dots, tell me. I added in a spare layer to detect any missed spots. Before they would've been yellow since there was a neutral underlayer, but I did it a little differently for this version.

Attached Thumbnails

• MentalOmegaPoliticalAltered.png

#651 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Wikipedia has a pretty accurate geographical map available in SVG.PNG format, you can't put it on a black "sea" though. (Do note that this is a modern-day map, so you might need to tweak it a bit in some places)

http://upload.wikime...kMap-World6.svg

Should help with the Antarctic Area looking more proper...

Not sure if this would be of any use...

Philippines was under Spanish Rule until World War 1 or so... Japan occupied us around World War 2, Not sure if Japan would still be occupy us if Germany didn't add them into the Axis Powers...

Malaysia was a British Owned State until after World War II, make that of you will... Not sure if it would become one of those Yuri Controlled Countries or not...

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#652 Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Mental Face

• Project Team
  • 328 posts
  • Projects:Nothing worth showing off.
  •  Actually Yngwie of House Malmsteen.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

Some stuff i request the MO team to implement:

A Soviet and an Epsilon equivalent to the Grand Cannon. The Grand Cannon is an excellent counter against artillery units, especially the Scud. I'm not asking to create a Soviet or an Epsilon Grand Cannon. I'm asking for a long range unit or a defense to counter these irksome siege units. Something like the Iron Dragon or my Mortar Trooper suggestion on the Subfaction Ideas Thread would be appropriate.

Some more naval units:

CNC naval combat has always been bland except in RA3. You should add some unique and special naval units as a naval combat spice.

Some unit denying support powers:

Support powers that can eliminate a large amount of units would be gladly appreciated.

The return of the Emperor:

Do your best to fix the Emperor's bug and definitely return it for 3.0. It's one of the most useful units in MO. It would be sad to see it go away because it's buggy.

Edited by Jargalhurts, 05 November 2011 - 04:20 PM.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

#653 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Wikipedia has a pretty accurate geographical map available in SVG.PNG format, you can't put it on a black "sea" though. (Do note that this is a modern-day map, so you might need to tweak it a bit in some places)

http://upload.wikime...kMap-World6.svg

Should help with the Antarctic Area looking more proper...

Not sure if this would be of any use...

Philippines was under Spanish Rule until World War 1 or so... Japan occupied us around World War 2, Not sure if Japan would still be occupy us if Germany didn't add them into the Axis Powers...

Malaysia was a British Owned State until after World War II, make that of you will... Not sure if it would become one of those Yuri Controlled Countries or not...

Well I was meaning scale wise with Antarctica. I might use it later, but I don't think It is really necessary to get every single island off the coast of Antarctica.

The Philippines would've been freed and it was lost by Spain to America after the Spanish-American War which was before WW1. The pacific theater still would've been fought by the United States. As said earlier, I believe that Japanese expansion would've continued with or with out the Axis Powers. This means that the war in pacific would've been would between Japan and the United States alone. So I'm thinking the Philippines would've been freed just the same.

Malaysia goes with that post earlier with decolonization. Just because WW2 didn't happen, doesn't mean the nations didn't decolonize, so Malaysia would've been granted independence by RA2 beginning I would think. Regardless, as I said earlier, just because it is marked Epsilon doesn't mean that the country is 100% controlled by Epsilon. This mainly applies to the Pacific as the idea is that Yuri uses the islands for hideouts and similar stuff.

#654 Aasgier

Aasgier

title available

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

@Aasgier - Like I said, this is a stock map. I didn't physically build it. I just used the outline that Lefthand made from another stock map. I might consider merging Yugoslavia but I don't want to really do heavy alterations. The only two I'm considering is Germany's preWW2 boundary and Yugoslavia. There is absolutely no reason to alter it as heavily as you did in my opinion.

I've finished some of the map's alterations. I've restored Germany's preWW2 border. Keep in mind that East Prussia is still under the control of the USSR. I've restored Yugoslavia and Palestine. Israel wouldn't of been formed as most of the Jewish population would probably still be in Europe. Lastly, I've restored Czechoslovakia. The only other consideration would be combining the USSR and maybe India (with some of the surrounding nations).

Well, Poland also lost a lot of territory because of WW2; and Poland should have its 1937-territory as well. WW2 DID make heavy alterations to the world map, especially in Europe, and now it did not take place. However, political it would be correct. Soviets would lay a claim on Czechoslovakia, Poland and East-Prussia. Then they invade Europe (Red Alert 1); and the Allies won that war.

However, Poland was very affilated with Western allies during WW2; and if the Soviets invaded, they would use the same trick I suppose. That being said, the Soviets would've been forced to stop their claims on Polish territory, which means Czechoslovakia would be surrounded by European countries after their victory, and been handed over to the Allies as well.

About decolonization you're mostly right. Indeed, after RA1 a lot of decolonization would happen though it is a question how it would play out.

#655 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Like I said, Poland was aligned with the Soviet Union in RA2 so unless Speeder specifically wants to change that, I'm leaving it Soviet aligned. As such, I'm not too keen on altering the Polish border, since I don't know how big the border change would be affected because Poland is Soviet aligned. I'd really rather have Speeder's input before changing Poland.

#656 IconOfEvi

IconOfEvi
  • Members
  • 181 posts
  • Projects:Allies Revenge 2

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Like I said, Poland was aligned with the Soviet Union in RA2 so unless Speeder specifically wants to change that, I'm leaving it Soviet aligned. As such, I'm not too keen on altering the Polish border, since I don't know how big the border change would be affected because Poland is Soviet aligned. I'd really rather have Speeder's input before changing Poland.

That Poland woiuld include the parts not owned by Germany - i.e. Austrian and Russian Poland.

Nice map btw...I was under the impression though that Yuri didn't outright own countries? He has massive cells running around but arent they mobile-ish?

Anyways, yes I know I still haven't done character profiles and nation profiles, but we'll see what happens later tonight

#657 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

That Poland woiuld include the parts not owned by Germany - i.e. Austrian and Russian Poland.

Nice map btw...I was under the impression though that Yuri didn't outright own countries? He has massive cells running around but arent they mobile-ish?

Anyways, yes I know I still haven't done character profiles and nation profiles, but we'll see what happens later tonight

I think I'm just going to leave Poland as is since I don't know much about Poland and I'd like to have some more outside input. Also, I might help with nation profiles if I get up the motivation. I really like political stuff as you can see.

#658 IconOfEvi

IconOfEvi
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

Here's what I meant when I referred to German, Austrian, and Russian Poland
http://en.wikipedia....ition_of_Poland

Of course, a Europe where post-Weimar Germany was the main power in the first Alliance would produce a very different Europe than the one we know indeed...

Post-WWI Poland was reconstituted out of those pieces, and the WWII partition was a seperate one

#659 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:51 AM

So Poland needs to have Lithuania and parts of Czechoslovakia? Or is it parts of the Ukraine?

EDIT: Your timespan is off. After World War I, Poland wasn't the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It was the Second Polish Republic according to Wikipedia. Plus this fits into the map better.

Edited by Darkstorm, 08 November 2011 - 03:54 AM.

#660 IconOfEvi

IconOfEvi
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

Yes, but thats what I meant by partitioned Poland. I wasnt referring to the Second partition

Yes, that was pre-WWI Poland, but you must remember that pre-RA2 is based on the aftermath of RA1. Germany suffered the most during the Soviet invasion (you can see a Soviet pocket in Berlin even as the Allies are knocking into the Baltics), and Poland being a Soviet/neutral ally, Germany would have had her pickings probably after the war, at the very least a return to her territory.

Edited by IconOfEvi, 08 November 2011 - 04:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users