Photo

MO 3.3 // Feedback & Suggestions (Balance, New Features, Modifications etc.)

• Please log in to reply
5127 replies to this topic

#3201 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:52 AM

Nah. Without rubble a destroyed city just doesn't look right. But there are some cases where the rubble takes away more from gameplay than what it adds. Maps with particularly small space to build, for instance. That's why I'm asking for an optional gamerule.

Time to bring Ares' destructible rubble feature online

In-game speed vs real life speed?   
Malver in Obisidian Sands?   
Strength-Agility-Intellect subfactions?    

#3202 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

Can the AI be told to utilize player/other AI owned territory to construct their own buildings if they run out of place on their starting spot ?

6HsdMNV.png

Nope.

Okay then, time to pack up and move to OpenRA then. 

By 2020.

:p

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

#3203 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Okay then, time to pack up and move to OpenRA then. 

By 2020.

:p

So 3.3.4?

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#3204 RedFox34

RedFox34
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:47 PM

It would be nice if Tech Reinforcement Pads could use rally points to set where reinforcements will move to once paradrop is complete.

#3205 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

It would be nice if Tech Reinforcement Pads could use rally points to set where reinforcements will move to once paradrop is complete.

Boldly stated, I remain unconvinced (that it's technically possible)

#3206 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

Boldly stated, I remain unconvinced (that it's technically possible)

And if it's really possible, I'd really to have Coronia's infantry be deployed by droppod once a Knightfall plugin is built.

#3207 Mr_DevilSmile

Mr_DevilSmile
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:08 AM

I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A CHALLENGE!!

ELECTRIFYING CHALLEGE... I'm not good with names

the challenge is the tesla and emp weapons, all units and buildings that use this technology should be present, including the wormqueen and the penrun fragship. but the exciting thing is coming now... in each enemy base there will be a EIFFEL TOWER with a certain rank which will end with all your army if you are not cautious, the tower is invulnerable and the only way to stop it is killing the volko who will be recharging each of the towers. In addition to the strong antiaircraft defenses, the EMP hell, the dragonfly and wormqueen spam, emp mine in the mineral fields, the perun recharging everything and just missing the return of the voltmortar as cherry cake.

it would also be great if the dragonfly could attack the aircraft and the kirov drop tesla bombs... 

Spoiler

I need to try this ...

Edited by Mr_DevilSmile, 31 March 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#3208 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:49 AM

I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A CHALLENGE!!

ELECTRIFYING CHALLEGE... I'm not good with names

the challenge is the tesla and emp weapons, all units and buildings that use this technology should be present, including the wormqueen and the penrun fragship. but the exciting thing is coming now... in each enemy base there will be a EIFFEL TOWER with a certain rank which will end with all your army if you are not cautious, the tower is invulnerable and the only way to stop it is killing the volko who will be recharging each of the towers. In addition to the strong antiaircraft defenses, the EMP hell, the dragonfly and wormqueen spam, emp mine in the mineral fields, the perun recharging everything and just missing the return of the voltmortar as cherry cake.

it would also be great if the dragonfly could attack the aircraft and the kirov drop tesla bombs... 

Spoiler

I need to try this ...

RA3 Tesla's Castle?

#3209 NorthFireZ

NorthFireZ

MO Caster, Community Ghost

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Projects:MO Faction Guides
  •  Random Asshole

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:48 AM

Can the Rocketeer have some sort of health regen? I remember in 3.0 in Allied campaign mission 4, the Rocketeers had a little bit of health regen so I know it's not impossible to do. 

I have a year-long Writer's block @ https://www.fanficti...1/At-Mind-s-End But youtube is doing well! https://www.youtube....ser/andywong545

#3210 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:29 AM

Can the Rocketeer have some sort of health regen? I remember in 3.0 in Allied campaign mission 4, the Rocketeers had a little bit of health regen so I know it's not impossible to do. 

I support this, aside from owning tech hospital theres no way to heal them in game as Allies.

#3211 Mr_DevilSmile

Mr_DevilSmile
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

RA3 Tesla's Castle ?

I can not play in Uprising. It also occurred to me that the perun can be programmed to have the weapons of 2 dragonfly and one volkov... and that attack air

#3212 Terminal Velocity

Terminal Velocity

title available

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

I actually made a challenge map that's quite similar to that concept a while ago. You can check it out if you're interested:

MO2.0 Ares Port (Beta):

https://drive.google...BIYEYXz7u8KCAMr

My maps:

#3213 ExodiusDB

ExodiusDB
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

I don't like complaining a lot but I feel that difficulty levels are a bit messed up.

I am the type of player that stretches the game. I build up my defenses, gather my resources and when I decide that my army is strong enough, I attack. I never played neither RA2 nor YR on easy difficulty because I always balance my gameplay between defending and attacking and it has always work for me throughout all strategy games.

When you launch RA2 and YR, and pick easy difficulty, the game lets you go around the game at a slower pace, enemy rarely attacks you and when he does, it's just to remind you that he is there in the game with you, waiting for you to attack him. You don't have to defend your base all that much and all you need is to mass your army and just decide: "I have enough soldiers and tanks, I should just attack". When you decimate enemy's checkpoint he almost never sends troops to that checkpoint.

On Normal difficulty, the enemy becomes slightly aggressive, he attacks you just enough to keep you on your toes, to make you work your strategy, to make you balance between defending your site and training troops for the eventual attack. When you are ready, you think "I am ready to attack the enemy and I think my defenses are strong enough to prevent the counter attack, but that should not happen". Even if your attack fails, you still have strong defense for you to mount a counter-counter attack. When checkpoint is attacked and decimated, enemy sends troops at that checkpoint eventually.

On Hard, the enemy is ruthless. He constantly attacks you keeping you on your toes. Makes you focus on your defense while gradually working your way through the map, step by step, capturing the points that he had under control. If your attack fails, retaliation is usually brutal. Checkpoints are almost always "regenerated", making you rethink about the troops you used in the attack. "Should I have used more tanks instead of soldiers? More Seals instead of Rocketeers? More Tesla Tanks instead of Rhinos?"

Why did I wrote all this? I was forced to replay some RA2 and YR campaign missions on all the difficulties to compare the difficulty levels against Mental Omega and difficulties do not match. I went through the normal difficulties of the first 4 missions, I found them challenging but doable but, then I came across "Beautiful Mind" and I just crashed and after a couple attempts I was forced to go to Easy.

Not only was I welcomed by the timer but no matter how hard I bolstered my defenses and how hard I went after that damned Iron Curtain, my troops were decimated and, before I turned, all the checkpoints I went through and cleaned of enemy presence, enemies were back there. Like I was playing Hard difficulty. And then I decided to check the Official Playthrough and, although it was recorded on Highest Difficulty, the level of speed required to set up your defenses, as a new player, was insane.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the entire game, only the difficulty levels because, Easy difficulty should not be THAT challenging. It should be something you pick to get a lay of the land, not to be eaten alive.

#3214 mrvecz

mrvecz
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

I don't like complaining a lot but I feel that difficulty levels are a bit messed up.

I am the type of player that stretches the game. I build up my defenses, gather my resources and when I decide that my army is strong enough, I attack. I never played neither RA2 nor YR on easy difficulty because I always balance my gameplay between defending and attacking and it has always work for me throughout all strategy games.

Yeah, difficulty is crushing when compared to the vanilla game but you get used to it. I am very similar to you in terms of how i am playing the game, slow and steady, wait out, build up and smash through the enemy. Although i can switch to rushing tactics if i see an opportunity (Like if i see that i could rush Foehn base and defeat an enemy at the beginning)

Most missions are like this, they are either covert ops (Which i hate in RTS games, missions that are save scumming fodder) or regular missions where you have actual bases. Covert ops are save scumming fest as some sadists love to fill the map with insta killing units and instant failure states)

Normal missions are mix bag, rushing and defending, depending on the scenario. Most of the time, i defend myself for 30 minutes (Or less, depending on the size of enemy attack forces) and then i go on the offensive.

Yeah, dont expect to do missions quickly, most of them will take you more than 30 minutes.

Edit:Some missions can be easily won through unusual tactics, Beautiful mind, before jets were nerfed i just build buttload of aircraft and bombed the beacon just like in the original RA2. I failed my first attempt when i tried to smash my way through and do it the legit way.

Edited by mrvecz, 31 March 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#3215 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

This is a mod, and mods in general are meant for veteran players who would find anything less difficult too easy. That being said, I'm too pissed off by the AI, not because it's "hard" but because all of its hardness is purely artificial, and mostly due to the AI cheating by having practically infinite money, and ignoring unit prerequisites like a mofo. As a result, playing against the (hard) AI is always a drag, simply because it can't be starved out, and will keep endlessly producing units and rebuilding defences no matter what. It is still as dumb as a brick tho and can be cheesed endlessly, even on mental. While I understand that except for the campaign, the PvE is pretty much the last priority, I still say that this issue will have to be tackled in the future.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#3216 Tathmesh

Tathmesh

title available

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  Degenerate Haihead Main

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

The extreme difficulty of a Beautiful Mind might be motivated by the story. The idea is that the Americans think they're thwarting the Sovieta' master plan of mind-controlling the US, so when you think you're victorious and overcame the Soviet threat, the MIDAS drops and you realize the Soviets were playing the Americans this whole time. The Allies were never going to win. The mission gives you hope and throws it all away.

The following missions are considerably easier imo. So the difficulty isn't too unreasonable.

#3217 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

If there is a story motivated "failure" mission like that, you could still make it so that the player "fails gracefully".

But personally, after save/load was added, I found most missions okay difficulty-wise, and I'm saying this as someone who haven't touched the game for almost a year, so very much rusty.

(Also personally I don't consider MO to be a mod anymore; it's pretty much its own game. That I wish I could pay for.)

#3218 Damfoos

Damfoos

When world domination haven't cured the emptiness inside

• Members
  • 870 posts
  • Projects:Translation of various cool C&C mods.
  •  Mental Omega Russian Translator

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:41 PM

Why did I wrote all this? I was forced to replay some RA2 and YR campaign missions on all the difficulties to compare the difficulty levels against Mental Omega and difficulties do not match. I went through the normal difficulties of the first 4 missions, I found them challenging but doable but, then I came across "Beautiful Mind" and I just crashed and after a couple attempts I was forced to go to Easy.

Not only was I welcomed by the timer but no matter how hard I bolstered my defenses and how hard I went after that damned Iron Curtain, my troops were decimated and, before I turned, all the checkpoints I went through and cleaned of enemy presence, enemies were back there. Like I was playing Hard difficulty. And then I decided to check the Official Playthrough and, although it was recorded on Highest Difficulty, the level of speed required to set up your defenses, as a new player, was insane.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the entire game, only the difficulty levels because, Easy difficulty should not be THAT challenging. It should be something you pick to get a lay of the land, not to be eaten alive.

Well, Mental Omega is (in)famous for higher difficulty level in missions, and it was way worse in 3.0, where Act 1 missions were added. Those missions were designed and playtested by people with lots of experience with their own mod, so no wonder other people found them quite insane, especially when Easy difficulty there was harder than Hard difficulty in RA2/YR. In 3.3 these missions were adjusted to be easier (on first two difficulties) however, but not all of them got enough changes in that department.

In addition to that, unit stats adjustments made during 3.3.0 -> 3.3.3 period made certain tactics harder to pull off or outright impossible - in Beautiful Mind you could build a few airfields of Stormchilds and bomb the hell out of that Iron Curtain AND the Amplifier, now you will need twice as more jets, while the timer is still too pushing for a beginner. In other missions you are often given a Medic and an IFV to repair your vehicles and heal your troops, but since 3.3.3. Medic does not make the IFV into a Repair IFV, so there's nothing in these missions to extract Terror Drones and repair damaged vehicles anymore. This is why Wrong Side and Panic Cycle are now way harder than they were supposed to be on Easy. Certain Soviet missions do not even have radar and means of remote scouting anymore, all this needs to be updated to be playable properly but someone responsible for this stuff doesn't seem interested in doing it.

I keep refering to Easy difficulty because this is the difficulty for the newcomers, it's equal or even harder than vanilla Normal, while MO Normal is actually hard. So don't torture yourself, switch to Easy and have some fun time, or skip the difficult missions and start with Act 2, those missions are actually easier than Act 2 ones, on Easy that is.

#3219 Mr_DevilSmile

Mr_DevilSmile
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

Well, Mental Omega is (in)famous for higher difficulty level in missions, and it was way worse in 3.0, where Act 1 missions were added. Those missions were designed and playtested by people with lots of experience with their own mod, so no wonder other people found them quite insane, especially when Easy difficulty there was harder than Hard difficulty in RA2/YR. In 3.3 these missions were adjusted to be easier (on first two difficulties) however, but not all of them got enough changes in that department.

In addition to that, unit stats adjustments made during 3.3.0 -> 3.3.3 period made certain tactics harder to pull off or outright impossible - in Beautiful Mind you could build a few airfields of Stormchilds and bomb the hell out of that Iron Curtain AND the Amplifier, now you will need twice as more jets, while the timer is still too pushing for a beginner. In other missions you are often given a Medic and an IFV to repair your vehicles and heal your troops, but since 3.3.3. Medic does not make the IFV into a Repair IFV, so there's nothing in these missions to extract Terror Drones and repair damaged vehicles anymore. This is why Wrong Side and Panic Cycle are now way harder than they were supposed to be on Easy. Certain Soviet missions do not even have radar and means of remote scouting anymore, all this needs to be updated to be playable properly but someone responsible for this stuff doesn't seem interested in doing it.

I keep refering to Easy difficulty because this is the difficulty for the newcomers, it's equal or even harder than vanilla Normal, while MO Normal is actually hard. So don't torture yourself, switch to Easy and have some fun time, or skip the difficult missions and start with Act 2, those missions are actually easier than Act 2 ones, on Easy that is.

In those missions where there is no radar, they can not simply place the radar tower. The radar tower replaces the air base, so the field bureau still has its function and the Soviets get a radar.  :facepalm:The building is still in the game as it appears in the co-op mission "Mad Monster".

Edited by Mr_DevilSmile, 31 March 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#3220 ExodiusDB

ExodiusDB
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

Yeah but, that's just it. Game loses it's purpose if we just skip a mission. We shouldn't be forced to skip them even though we can.

Same thing happens in Skirmish matches as well. While RA2 and YR Easy combatants rarely create a superweapon, Normal create them but don't use them that often, MO Easy AI rushes to create it and utilizes it as soon as they can.

You should be able to complete Easy difficulty with your eyes closed.

The best way to describe difficulty levels would be like this. During almost all missions (campaign) you are given at least 1 new structure or a unit:
RA2 & YR, regardless of difficulty, give you enough time to familiarize with that unit. Although you have Eva and Zofia telling you strengths and weaknesses of those new troops, in MO you have nothing.

In each MO campaign mission, I received a new unit and I was clueless to their strengths and weaknesses... Example being the Stormchild which were VERY squishy even against Flak Troopers, or that on MO, Tanya can't engage other targets when she tagged a building with C4 until C4 explodes.

Edited by ExodiusDB, 31 March 2018 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users